How much salt to add? First time SWG use

as reference, my pool (20 kgals) took 8 x 40 lbs bags for initial fill...after that i've added 4 more (since Aug 2009)...low temps tend to decrease readings from swcg...as of today, salt level at 3300 ppm and working ok.

I would think people would need to know the recommend parts per million for whatever brand SWG you bought.

Then you need to know if there's already some salt level in the water. For example, my local tap water tests out with some level of salt (amount varies depending on if they are drawing from a well or out of the river).

Pool Calculator will tell you how much if you know what ppm your SWG likes. Looks like around 300-350lbs will get you to 3200ppm That is, if you are starting with 0ppm.

OP here....going to set salt today. My pump is not hooked up yet for this year. Planning to do that next weekend maybe...I need to change out the filter material. Do I just dump the salt in the pool and let it start to dissolve? Or should I wait until I have everything plumbed up and the pump running?

4boys531 said:
OP here....going to set salt today. My pump is not hooked up yet for this year. Planning to do that next weekend maybe...I need to change out the filter material. Do I just dump the salt in the pool and let it start to dissolve? Or should I wait until I have everything plumbed up and the pump running?

Once you do have the pump running, and you have pre-tested your water for its own natural salt content, broadcast your salt onto the areas of the pool away from the deep end intake, and brush it all around with your pool brush to help it dissolve and blend in.

Engage your Pool Owner Patience and don't add it all at once. Maybe add 3/4 of what the Pool Calculator says, and then test your water. All of your salt does not need to go in all in one day. This process can be done over a few days. No need to bang it and then find your salt is higher than what you planned on. (How do I know this, hmm?)

Lana

Reactions: Poolzer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lana makes a good point for ANY chem adjustment!!!

I know it's often been said, but it can ALWAYS use repetition -- DO NOT ADD ALL THE CHEM ALL AT ONCE!!! When you are adjusting your chem levels, "slow and steady wins the race". Add ~ 1/2 of what you think you need to and wait at least an hour, with the system running, retest and add more accordingly. :)

I agree with Lana as well.

No harm in adding "under the amount needed" and then checking the next day. It's amazing how the reading may change. I'd rather have to add an extra bag or 2 than to have to drain and refill because I put too much in.

Even though it dissolves pretty fast, it seems that it doesn't "really work itself in there" until it circulates for a little bit etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.