Help with equipment pad !!

Jun 29, 2009
well time to ask some questions about my PAD !!If anyone can shed any lite on this as to what does what and what goes where ........well as close as you can get anyways !!!!
thank you
HPIM0992.jpg

HPIM0994.jpg

HPIM0997.jpg

HPIM0996.jpg

HPIM1003.jpg

I know what this one is for !!!!
HPIM1001.jpg

HPIM1002.jpg

ready ....set.....GO!!!!!

It looks like you have three suction pipes, two from the pool and one from the spa. The suction pipes are low down in the middle, close to the pump. The automated valve on the suction pipes selects between pool and spa. The manual valve probably selects between main drain and skimmer(s) though it could be setup some other way.

The high up pipes that go to either side of the suction pipe are the return pipe. It looks like there are two, one for the pool and one for the spa. The high up automated valve selects between pool and spa. The smaller horizontal pipe probably causes the spa to spill over any time the pump is on in pool mode.

There is a gas heater on the left, DE filter on the right, pump down in the middle, SWG high up in the middle just before the automated return valve. There is a push/pull main valve right next to the filter.

Do you have any specific questions?

well i don't know ....I have played with the valves and it seems like i keep wanting to drain the spa !!! and i can't get the spa to "spill over" ,but i do see a return pumping water to the spa ....but no spill over !

leslies pool supply in my area has a "pool school" where they come out and give me the lowdown on my system ! calling to setup an appointment ASAP!!!!
thanks for your help jason!

So what is the capped off pipe? Is that for an air blower?

If Jason's assumptions are correct - and I think they are, then the way the automated valves are set in your photos should block off suction from the spa and only allow return to the pool, excepting the small pipe with check valve running across. I don't like that setup where you will always have flow to the spa. At least it needs a valve.

Your light junction box looks like a mess and does not have the cover.

I just realized that you have two automated valves, but I don't see anything that could control them (ie no automation system, just a mechanical timer).

Something to watch out for, the waste stream when you backwash the filter looks like it will come out at the bottom of the push/pull valve and possibly splash onto the pump and/or some electrical cables. You probably want to hook up a drain hose to get the water out of that immediate area.

You must have a controller for the automated valves somewhere? Otherwise, you can turn the switch on each to "off", unscrew the handle screw until it almost comes off, push down on it to release the cam, and then you are able to turn the handle by hand.

i control the valves with the litle switch on the side of them ....as far as automation goes it looks like they used aquadyne boxes to control everything ,but .....no remote (bought a repo)
if i were to remove the cover plate for the timer you can see 4 or 5 of the aquadyne boxes and this must the "main controller"
HPIM1000.jpg

and yes i did see the lack of proper drainage for the backwash valve !
BTW the reason the light junction box looks a mess is because i took the lights out of the pool (waiting for new replacment colorlogic led's )

The Chlorine generator doesn't have a check valve. If it's flow switch malfunctions and it's power source is other than the pool pump, chlorinated water could back flow into the heater's copper heat exchanger and eat it. Additionally, hydrogen gas could potentially form and collect in the cell. You would have a Hindenburg on a smaller scale, of course, but if someone was working there...

I STRONGLY recommend the cell be placed much closer to the ground and a check valve or Hartford loop be set behind it to prevent the previous scenario from being possible.

The capped pipe in the 1st picture appears to have a notch cut in it. This is for the spa jets and will allow air to be drawn into them, increasing the pressure felt when they are getting the full return flow from the pump.

I agree the setup for sending water to the spa when in circulation mode is less than ideal. A valve should be added there and union ends added to the check valve for easier replacement when that time comes.

Welcome to parenthood. You are now the proud caretaker of an artificial life form in your back yard. It has a heart, kidneys, veins, arteries and limited intelligence. It needs to be fed and cleaned or it will get sick. Fortunately, it doesn't require as much attention as a child or pet though there are occasions when it it cost like them. We'll help you keep that part down.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
The Chlorine generator doesn't have a check valve. If it's flow switch malfunctions and it's power source is other than the pool pump, chlorinated water could back flow into the heater's copper heat exchanger and eat it. Additionally, hydrogen gas could potentially form and collect in the cell. You would have a Hindenburg on a smaller scale, of course, but if someone was working there...

I STRONGLY recommend the cell be placed much closer to the ground and a check valve or Hartford loop be set behind it to prevent the previous scenario from being possible.

The capped pipe in the 1st picture appears to have a notch cut in it. This is for the spa jets and will allow air to be drawn into them, increasing the pressure felt when they are getting the full return flow from the pump.

I agree the setup for sending water to the spa when in circulation mode is less than ideal. A valve should be added there and union ends added to the check valve for easier replacement when that time comes.

Welcome to parenthood. You are now the proud caretaker of an artificial life form in your back yard. It has a heart, kidneys, veins, arteries and limited intelligence. It needs to be fed and cleaned or it will get sick. Fortunately, it doesn't require as much attention as a child or pet though there are occasions when it it cost like them. We'll help you keep that part down.

Scott

can you please post a "pic of recomended changes for me to better understand !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.