Testing Chlorine with 5-way HD kit

jshbkr

Mar 24, 2010
Topic split off by Moderator.

I have the 5 way kit from HD and the instructions are very different from pool school. it stats FC and CC should be very similar, but CC should be 0 right? Are the definitions the same? This stuff is confusing. In the 5 way you test FC by adding solution and read in 1 to 2 seconds and CC you wait 3 minutes... it always seems to be the same. Should it go clear after 3 minutes with good pool chemistry?? Thanks

Re: TF-100 and the 5 way home depot Kit. Not Accurate?

I think if you look carefully, the 5-way kit measures FC and TC, not FC and CC. They are related by the formula TC = FC + CC. So, if you see FC at a certain level, and then TC is the same or only a little different, then your CC is close to zero and you're good.
--paulr

The kit you are using has an OTO chlorine test which basically tells you Total Chlorine. Some experienced folk know how to use it to differentiate (I don't :)).

If that's all you have you really should consider upgrading your kit to the Taylor K-2006 or the TF100. These two kits have an FAS-DPD Chlorine test that can measure FC and CC up to 50 ppm and you aren't comparing shades of color - you are counting the number of drops till you see a color change, and it can be measured up to .2 precision. It really is ideal for pool owners to have this test. You can also purchase the test ala carte from both Taylor and TFtestkits if you don't want to upgrade the entire kit (but I'm not confident in the HD kit's reliability.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.