BASIC INFO about conversion

ellava

Jul 25, 2007
I have bacquacil and used it last summer (1st year having pool). I have an 18' round ag pool with a sand filter. I want to do the conversion and maybe I've not read enough of the posts yet but I haven't seen the receipe for conversion - I see a lot of detail but not a step by step process for conversion. Is there a place I can look this up or can someone give me the steps. Thanks.

This should be in the baquacil section, there you can see pictures of my conversion.

Here are the steps I took:

1.) Buy lots of 6% bleach. (probably 10-15 of the jugs that are bigger than a gallon)
2.) Buy the TFTestKit from www.tftestkits.com
3.) Wait for kit to arrive.
4.) Download bleachcalc or use JasonLion's webpage.
5.) Pour in enough bleach to make your chlorine go up to 15ppm.
6.) Check your chlorine level 3 times a day (morning, noon, evening) and add whatever bleach is required to bring it back up to 15ppm each time.
7.) Do this every day until your water is crystal clear and your evening measurement of 15 is still reading 15 the next morning.
8.) Once the chlorine holds, change your filter sand. (This part really sucks).
9.) Run a full set of test numbers and post them here to get advice on what you need to do to get your pool perfect.
10.) Enjoy

As a side instruction, while you are going through the process, spend a few hours on this site reading the posts, especially the stickies and the BBB stuff. Youll be ready to have a perfect pool in no time.

It should take anywhere from 3-6 days depending on your conditions.

I would just add a couple things to this, in bold

Wolfmarsh said:
This should be in the baquacil section, there you can see pictures of my conversion.

Here are the steps I took:

1.) Buy lots of 6% bleach. (probably 10-15 of the jugs that are bigger than a gallon)
2.) Buy the TFTestKit from www.tftestkits.com
3.) Wait for kit to arrive.

For now, you can get a cheapy OTO test at Wally world (the kind that checks only pH and chlorine) and use the dilution method, so you can get started on your conversion, though the TF100 ships REALLY quickly!! Mix 1 part pool water with 2 parts distilled water and test this. Multiply results by 3. Now your OTO test reads up to 15.

4.) Download bleachcalc or use JasonLion's webpage.
5.) Pour in enough bleach to make your chlorine go up to 15ppm.
6.) Check your chlorine level at least 3 times a day (morning, noon, evening) and add whatever bleach is required to bring it back up to 15ppm each time. The more constant your FC of 15 stays, the faster your conversion will be over!
7.) Do this every day until your water is crystal clear and your evening measurement of 15 is still reading 15 the next morning. And your water is crystal clear

Run your filter 24/7. You will need to backwash frequently

8.) Once the chlorine holds, change your filter sand. (This part really sucks).
9.) Run a full set of test numbers and post them here to get advice on what you need to do to get your pool perfect.
10.) Enjoy

As a side instruction, while you are going through the process, spend a few hours on this site reading the posts, especially the stickies and the BBB stuff. Youll be ready to have a perfect pool in no time.

It should take anywhere from 3-6 days depending on your conditions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.