Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BASIC INFO about conversion

1. Back To Top    #1

BASIC INFO about conversion

I have bacquacil and used it last summer (1st year having pool). I have an 18' round ag pool with a sand filter. I want to do the conversion and maybe I've not read enough of the posts yet but I haven't seen the receipe for conversion - I see a lot of detail but not a step by step process for conversion. Is there a place I can look this up or can someone give me the steps. Thanks.
    just to get on w/ someone who can help w/ my pool issues.

2. Back To Top    #2

This should be in the baquacil section, there you can see pictures of my conversion.

Here are the steps I took:

1.) Buy lots of 6% bleach. (probably 10-15 of the jugs that are bigger than a gallon)
    2.) Buy the TFTestKit from www.tftestkits.com
    3.) Wait for kit to arrive.
    4.) Download bleachcalc or use JasonLion's webpage.
    5.) Pour in enough bleach to make your chlorine go up to 15ppm.
    6.) Check your chlorine level 3 times a day (morning, noon, evening) and add whatever bleach is required to bring it back up to 15ppm each time.
    7.) Do this every day until your water is crystal clear and your evening measurement of 15 is still reading 15 the next morning.
    8.) Once the chlorine holds, change your filter sand. (This part really sucks).
    9.) Run a full set of test numbers and post them here to get advice on what you need to do to get your pool perfect.
    10.) Enjoy

As a side instruction, while you are going through the process, spend a few hours on this site reading the posts, especially the stickies and the BBB stuff. Youll be ready to have a perfect pool in no time.

It should take anywhere from 3-6 days depending on your conditions.
    18' Round ABG (8000 gallon)
    Hayward X-Stream Cartridge Filter
    1.5hp Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Pump
    80 sq. ft. solar panels
    Goldline automated solar controller

3. Back To Top    #3
    I would just add a couple things to this, in bold

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmarsh
    This should be in the baquacil section, there you can see pictures of my conversion.

Here are the steps I took:

1.) Buy lots of 6% bleach. (probably 10-15 of the jugs that are bigger than a gallon)
    2.) Buy the TFTestKit from www.tftestkits.com
    3.) Wait for kit to arrive.

For now, you can get a cheapy OTO test at Wally world (the kind that checks only pH and chlorine) and use the dilution method, so you can get started on your conversion, though the TF100 ships REALLY quickly!! Mix 1 part pool water with 2 parts distilled water and test this. Multiply results by 3. Now your OTO test reads up to 15.

4.) Download bleachcalc or use JasonLion's webpage.
    5.) Pour in enough bleach to make your chlorine go up to 15ppm.
    6.) Check your chlorine level at least 3 times a day (morning, noon, evening) and add whatever bleach is required to bring it back up to 15ppm each time. The more constant your FC of 15 stays, the faster your conversion will be over!
    7.) Do this every day until your water is crystal clear and your evening measurement of 15 is still reading 15 the next morning. And your water is crystal clear

Run your filter 24/7. You will need to backwash frequently

8.) Once the chlorine holds, change your filter sand. (This part really sucks).
    9.) Run a full set of test numbers and post them here to get advice on what you need to do to get your pool perfect.
    10.) Enjoy

As a side instruction, while you are going through the process, spend a few hours on this site reading the posts, especially the stickies and the BBB stuff. Youll be ready to have a perfect pool in no time.

It should take anywhere from 3-6 days depending on your conditions.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4
    And also, if you have a cartridge filter get a new cartridge, and if you have a DE filter you will probably need to replace the grids.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    THANK YOU!

6. Back To Top    #6
    The pump is Hayward Power Flo Matrix
    and the filter is Hayward Proseries High Rate Sand Filter.