Should I put cover over pool motor?

Jun 15, 2008
Near Tampa Florida
Live near Tampa Florida. Motor on a Pentair Whisperflo 1.5 HP pool pump went out after 4 1/2 years. The motor itself was very rusty. It is situated directly under the overhang of the roof so rainwater lands on the motor. Pool service company that replaced motor recommended that I install cover over motor to keep out rainwater to extend the life of the new motor. Local pool stores (Pinch-a-Penny & Leslie's) apparently have covers for about $18. Should I install a cover?

With the high temperatures in Florida I'm also concerned about getting adequate air circulation around the motor so that it doesn't overheat.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks Jason Lion.

Installed a motor cover yesterday. After our sprinklers ran I observed that the cover was all wet, but the motor was nice and dry under its cover. Guess I've been watering my motor twice a week - an obvious contributor to the rust and the motor's premature failure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.