2 speed pump wiring help?

shane

Mar 16, 2010
Today I am going to attempt to replace my Whisperflo 2.5hp uprated pump motor with a new AO Smith B2984 2-speed motor. Wiring is 220v.

I was looking through the forum for some guidance in wiring this monster up. I found this post but have some questions.

I purchased one of those end cap 2 speed switch kits - doesn't fit and doesn't have any wiring directions... :hammer: The switch used is a 3-way 3 pole toggle switch.

I went to my local HD and purchased a 3-way 3 terminal toggle switch exactly like the one used on the end cap kit. Will this work using the directions below?

230v motor wiring;
You need a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) Center Off switch.
One of the Hot leads goes the the center pole on one side of the switch.
The high speed terminal (L1) goes to one of the side poles on the same side of the switch as the first hot lead.
The low speed terminal (A) goes to the other side pole one the same side of the switch as the first hot lead.
The second hot lead goes to the other side of the switch.
The L2 (Com) terminal wires to one of the switch termminals on the same side of the switch as the second hot.
A jumper needs to be ran between the side poles of the switch terminals that the second hot is going to.

Can someone help this electrical idiot out with some clear directions? Sure appreciate the help!
Shane

There are two different ways to hook things up. The directions you quoted are for a single switch that turns the motor off, high, and low all in one switch. A more common setup is to have one switch that changes the motor speed and a separate switch that turns the motor on and off (presumably you already have a way to turn the motor on and off, the second approach simply keeps that as is).

The first step is to locate the terminals on the motor. There should be a diagram on the motor showing which terminal is which. There are three that we are concerned with right now: common, low, and high. Logically, you want one side of the 220volt wired to common and the other side wired to either high or low depending on what speed you want at the moment.

The second step is to decide if you want a single switch that selects the speed and turns the motor on and off, or if you want one switch that controls the speed and a different switch/timer/automation system which turns the motor on and off.

Also, take a look at the switch you bought and figure out if it has two switch positions or three, ie does the switch stop in the middle, or does it only stop at the two ends of its range of motion.

Thanks for the reply! My pump is timer controlled (on/off) by a Jandy Aqualink RS system.

I am looking for the switch to control high speed/low speed only.

The switch I purchased does have three positions - I'd like to use them as High/Off/Low. I don't have to have the Off option, but figured that wiring this correctly would lead to the center position being Off.

It is just a simple 3 position toggle switch with 3 terminals under the switch body. It is a Gardner Bender GSW-13 SPDT three position (ON-OFF-ON) switch. It says good for up to 10A at 227v. I'm hoping to wire this switch to control the pump speed. The switch will be housed in a waterproof box installed in the conduit line running power to the pump.

I can also get a GSW-16 switch if the GSW-13 is not the correct switch for the job... I chose a 3 terminal switch because that is what came on the switch kit that I can't use...

My apologies for the previous posts... I was using the term "pole" when I should have used "terminal"... Just shows I really don't know a lot about electrical work. I can follow directions though...

First the disclaimer! The switch you have (GSW-13) will not remove power from the motor. Always disconnect the power at the breaker panel before doing any work on or near the pump. The unswitched will remain hot to the motor even when that switch is off.

Now, here's how to wire it.
230v motor wiring;
You have a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) Center Off switch.
One of the Hot leads goes the the center terminal of the switch.
The high speed terminal (L1) goes to one of the side terminals of the switch.
The low speed terminal (A) goes to the other side terminal of the switch.

NOTE: Remember, turning the switch to off will stop the motor but there will still be power to the motor thru the other hot leg.

Sorry to keep harping on it but I don't want you getting hurt or killed thinking no power would be going to the motor with the switch off.

Thanks Bama! (Roll Tide?)

Believe me... the breakers will be OFF before I do anything. I have an electrician grandfather and he taught me that much for sure.

The intructions are greatly appreciated. I'll reply when I have successfully completed this task.

Shane,

I am looking at replacing my old motor with the 3/4 hp version of the B2984 (B2980). Do you know the frame type of your old motor? My issue is replacing my old 48Y frame with the 56Y frame so I am curious if you had the same situation.

Apparently the 56Y body is 7/8" larger in diameter, but several web sites sell these as interchangeable, so any insight you have is appreciated.

Thanks!

My old motor was a 56Y body, so I did not have any issues changing to a 2 speed motor.

From what I read, the 48Y and 56Y have the exact same size mounting holes, and are interchangeable as far as installation goes. The 48Y includes a rubber "boot" that sits on the mount to make up for the difference in diameters. Just be sure to take that boot off of the mount before installing the 56Y motor.

I'm to the wiring up part, so I was just coming back in to verify the directions again. Measure twice, cut once as one grandpa said.

The power is off. Turn the darn breakers off before messin' with that stuff as the other said.

SUCCESS.... sort of....

The great news: The pump works! The 2 speed switch works! I didn't electrocute myself!

The not-so-great news: My attempted leak repair didn't work, so I'm still leaking copious amounts of water out of the top of the pump. I've given up and called in professionals... They will be here tomorrow.

You guys earn your money! Thanks for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey guys, great thread (even though it's old!)...I'm looking at replacing my tired 13year 1hp single speed pump with an AO 2spd #STS1102R. The GSW-13 switch looks good, but I'm wondering about waterproofing the switch but can't find any pictures of how people ran wires to the switch and into some kind of enclosure. Any ideas?

Most are mounted in the bottom of the motor rear cover. However, you can mount it in a outdoor box with a solid cover and just drill the cover to fit. Then run the wiring into and out of the box. You can even get one with a large bubble cover so it'll fit over the switch.

I was about to post that the GSW13 is only rated to 125 and I have 220 but I'm sure it's easy to source a comparable switch.
But to your first sentence, is there usually enough room back there to mount a toggle like the GSW? Having a switch back there wouldn't be too inconvenient but of course up near the timer box would be pretty neat.

I just installed my switch into my plastic Intermatic timer box. (I hate bending over, and this way the switches are all in the same place.) You need to pass an extra conductor from the box to the motor. There was plenty of room in my flexible conduit to do this. Then a screw on rubber weather cover (like the GSW-20 shown in the link) for the switch from Grainger's. If you have a cordset instead of flexible conduit, it's not so easy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.