Morton rust remover pellets as pool salt?

stephcheff

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
San Diego County, CA
I've read that you can use water softener salt as pool salt, provided that it is greater than 99 percent pure salt.
We use our well water to top up our pool (initial fill is from a truck), and while we treat the water to remove iron, I know the system is not perfect as we have rust stains on some of our plumbing fixtures. I am wondering if using the rust remover pellets would help us to avoid rust staining in our pool.

The composition of the Morton Rust Remover pellets is:

*Sodium Chloride (%) 99.45 99.2 - 99.6
Calcium Sulfate (%) 0.17 0 - 0.35
Sodium Sulfate (%) - 0 - 0.12
Other Salts (%) 0.03 0 - 0.10
Moisture (%) - Less than 0.1
Water Insolubles (ppm)** 20 5 - 40
Citric Acid (%) 0.35 0.3 - 0.4

What do you think? Would the citric acid fight staining in the pool? Or would the additives be harmful to the SWCG and other pool elements?

Only use pure salt, no additives. i dont even like to use water softner salt. Some do, i dont like it. The pellets are too big and takes too long to dissolve. I like Motons pool salt.

But always use pure salt. Anything you put in your pool, you sholud know how much you are puttng in and why.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.