Skimmer / Main Drain Diverter

HardTrance9

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
Los Cabos
Hi all,

In one of the pools, the skimmer / main drain diverter (as shown at the visual encyclopedia from the PS) pool-school/visual_encyclopedia, seems to have trouble working as it should.

Looks like the "floating" device from the skimmer sinks and gets stuck once it is placed in the skimmer cylinder therefore the "suction" from the skimmer is cut and the debris is not pulled to the skimmer and stays in the pool area. I though could be having a lot of suction power, but this happens with or without suction.

Do you know if there is a way of making this stop happening? Any maintenance? lubrication? exchange? has to be made?

Thanks as always!

This device generally does not divert water between the main drain and the skimmer. It's purpose and function is if your water level drops below the skimmer, it closes and of and allows water to be pulled in through the skimmer equalization line that may be plumbed into the second port of the bottom of the skimmer and is plumbed through the wall of the pool approximately 18 - 24 inches below the water line directly in front of the skimmer. These are required on commercial pools. The reason that the diverter is closing is that the pump is pulling too hard through the skimmer causing the diverter to close. In commercial pools the line velocity of water in the pipes is calculated before installation and is very slow thus allowing the diverter to work properly. Try closing the valve down on the skimmer line to reduce water flow and see if that doesn't. If there is no equalization line or the skimmer is not plumbed to a secondary suction just throw the piece away as it will be of no assistance to you.

SplashPoolsMD said:
This device generally does not divert water between the main drain and the skimmer. It's purpose and function is if your water level drops below the skimmer, it closes and of and allows water to be pulled in through the skimmer equalization line that may be plumbed into the second port of the bottom of the skimmer and is plumbed through the wall of the pool approximately 18 - 24 inches below the water line directly in front of the skimmer. These are required on commercial pools. The reason that the diverter is closing is that the pump is pulling too hard through the skimmer causing the diverter to close. In commercial pools the line velocity of water in the pipes is calculated before installation and is very slow thus allowing the diverter to work properly. Try closing the valve down on the skimmer line to reduce water flow and see if that doesn't. If there is no equalization line or the skimmer is not plumbed to a secondary suction just throw the piece away as it will be of no assistance to you.

Ok, thanks. Just wanted to know if this device needs to really be there, but it is actually a small pool (pending to post the measures still, sorry). Your comments helped very much. Thanks again.

HardTrance9 said:
Hi all,

In one of the pools, the skimmer / main drain diverter (as shown at the visual encyclopedia from the PS) pool-school/visual_encyclopedia, seems to have trouble working as it should.

Looks like the "floating" device from the skimmer sinks and gets stuck once it is placed in the skimmer cylinder therefore the "suction" from the skimmer is cut and the debris is not pulled to the skimmer and stays in the pool area. I though could be having a lot of suction power, but this happens with or without suction.

Do you know if there is a way of making this stop happening? Any maintenance? lubrication? exchange? has to be made?

Thanks as always!
Is there a hole on the bottom (flat) side, with a little flapper over it? If the float's not sunk, the door may be closed. In my situation, the main drain comes up through the skimmer, and I regulate the balance by moving the door. Smaller door opening = more drain. Wide open door = all skimmer. I figured out the best setting by trial and error. I still have swirl in the skimmer basket, but if I sweep debris at the main drain, it gets pulled in. Although it is a lot like billiards, brush a hair off and it misses the holes completely...

Dumb question, i do not have a drain at bottom of pool, (1300 gal fiberglass) there was a kreepy krauly hooked up to hole where a skimmer basket would normally go.(missing weir door )
Krauly is junk and only works after i clean filter, for about 20min lol.
Can i s***-can krauly and just throw a skimmer basket in there and be done with it? and do i still need a spaceship in case water level drops?
note: there are 2 holes in skimmer but one has the vacuum and the other seems to be plugged and never used for any thing.

If the other hole is sealed, then you would not be getting the safety of the float if the water got too low any way. So likely no reason to have one other than the ability to partially close it so more suction went somewhere else.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.