Lights not turning on..

HardTrance9

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
Los Cabos
Hi there,

I had to check one of the recent pools (not added yet to signature) to check the hot tub and pool lights (one light bulb on each part). I removed the bulbs and shoke a little the bulbs and could hear something loose insight as when they need to be replaced.

I replaced the bulbs but lights won't switch on yet.

From the hot tub control (the control type that has 4 buttons for light, jets, spa, etc..) when clicking on the "lights" button, you can actually hear how there is a "click" noise (turning on/off) that comes from the Box control... (where you can press "service, auto, pool mode, etc.), but lights don't turn on/off.

So I believe there is power from the hot tub to the breaker box, but lights don't show up..

Could it be something related to the lights junction box? I have never dealt with these junction boxes before and don't know if it's something easy or tough to fix?

Or what else do you think could cause the pool and hot tub lights not to work?

Thanks!!

JasonLion said:
Lights not turning on is usually a problem with the GFI. Check that the GFI is not tripped and that you have voltage on the load side of the GFI.

:shock:

I will try to search on the forum where is the GFI, what it means, etc. Thanks for the heads up!

It is, again, a new term for me.. getting more and more deep into the pool universe... scary hehe.. but fun..

Polyvue?? help?? :hammer: :cry: I still need to learn how to improve my search abilities here... I don't know how you always find very specific posts... (apart from saving the links).. :roll:

Also I believe it is not good to have emptied the pool to many days? Need to fix this asap, but if I just take an electrical guy I don't know if he will able to figure it out.. or could he? (electrical don't know that much about pools)..

Ok, so I finallly managed with some help to turn the lights on.

First we replaced the light bulbs as they were bad and one was broken. Second we checked all the wiring, tested the voltage, on all, and the finally we reset a little electrical "security" box that has two buttons "Test" and "Reset". After these tests and all, lights were on again!

Attachments

• P3260017.JPG
    P3260017.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 49
HardTrance9 said:
... we reset a little electrical "security" box that has two buttons "Test" and "Reset".

Yep - that's the GFCI. Ground Fault Circuit Interupter
It essentially measures the electricity going out and compares it to the electricity coming back in, and if there is any difference, it interrupts the circuit. The assumption is that any stray electricity is trying to kill you, so it shuts off.

Ohm_Boy said:
HardTrance9 said:
... we reset a little electrical "security" box that has two buttons "Test" and "Reset".

Yep - that's the GFCI. Ground Fault Circuit Interupter
It essentially measures the electricity going out and compares it to the electricity coming back in, and if there is any difference, it interrupts the circuit. The assumption is that any stray electricity is trying to kill you, so it shuts off.

Oh I see. Thanks a lot Ohm Boy... !

Bye the way, that Ohm... sounds like "Ohm nama she ba ja.." from India.. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.