Potential skimmer rig... DIY with existing products

devis

Mar 23, 2010
I'm thinking of ordering Poolskim but I've got a bit of a situation that wouldn't be remedied by this product alone.
My pool was just de-greened, water is clear but cloudy. there are a lot of debris swimming about, built in skimmer just won't catch them for some reason. the debris will float on top of the skimmer box and not get sucked in. tried playing with the water levels, no go there...

So, what I'm thinking is this: Poolskim connected to 1 return line (i have two), but without the mesh net. Instead, I want to connect a Hayward W530 Large Capacity Leaf Canister to it, with its other end connected via hose with the built in skimmer suction line.

My concern is water circulation.... Essentially what I'm doing is cutting the water return rate in a half and creating a partially closed suction system. I know eventually all debris will fall to the bottom and I can use a vacuum to get to it, but this could help speed up the cleanup process.

On second thought... installing a Y splitter in one of the return lines then connecting the Poolskim to one of the branch-offs.

Or will the poolskim just work off of the suction created by the pump?

I got this idea after watching a couple of youtube videos about the dragonfly and poolskim.

devis said:
I'm thinking of ordering Poolskim but I've got a bit of a situation that wouldn't be remedied by this product alone.
My pool was just de-greened, water is clear but cloudy. there are a lot of debris swimming about, built in skimmer just won't catch them for some reason. the debris will float on top of the skimmer box and not get sucked in. tried playing with the water levels, no go there...

So, what I'm thinking is this: Poolskim connected to 1 return line (i have two), but without the mesh net. Instead, I want to connect a Hayward W530 Large Capacity Leaf Canister to it, with its other end connected via hose with the built in skimmer suction line.

My concern is water circulation.... Essentially what I'm doing is cutting the water return rate in a half and creating a partially closed suction system. I know eventually all debris will fall to the bottom and I can use a vacuum to get to it, but this could help speed up the cleanup process.

On second thought... installing a Y splitter in one of the return lines then connecting the Poolskim to one of the branch-offs.

Or will the poolskim just work off of the suction created by the pump?

I got this idea after watching a couple of youtube videos about the dragonfly and poolskim.

If you have enough water making it to the Pool Skim you won't need to attach a suction line to it. I've had two installed since last fall. We have tremendous amount of blowing debris and high winds. I had to restrict down two of my other return lines to get the amount of flow into the Pool Skims. I've been playing with the placement of the two for a couple of days now as my Aristocrat Pear is dropping flowers at the rate that the two Pool Skims are filling up, packed tightly, every two hours. Today I totally restricted one return, directed the last return so that most of the debris goes to Pool Skims, so that very little makes it to the skimmer. Reason is with the skimmer sock, the skimmer clogs up too fast. This a.m., even with the two Pool Skim bags packed really tightly (and they hold a lot) the water could hardly get through to the pump from skimmer.

I set the pump on three turn overs a day and the Pool Skims are doing an even better job.

You just have play with the return fittings (size of holes in eyeballs) and directions a bit. Those of us who use them will be glad to assist if want or need it.

gg=alice

The force of water returning to your pool is what generates the suction on the pool skim. The suction pulls the top down just below the water level and everything that comes close to it is sucked in by the venturi action. You may want to try lining the mesh bag with a leg of support pantyhose in order to catch the fine debris left by the dead algae. Currently I am battling oak tree pollen and "pods" (I don't know the official name but they are a mess!) My skimmer sock helps to trap the pollen and the pool skim cleans up most of the pods. I changed the circulation on the pool so the debris hits the pool skim first! That keeps my skimmer from getting clogged too fast.

Good idea on the pantyhose. Didn't think about it. What I was trying to do was catch all the big stuff in the mesh bag and the rest of the water with the finer debris would go directly to the filter. I'm brand new to this... it's my first home and my first pool that's why my approach may be a bit unorthodox.

Pool is in ground, about 15K gallons, 1.5 hp pump and cartridge filter. There is a drain in the deep end.

devis said:
Why isn't the skimmer catching the debris? Maybe your filter needs to be cleaned?

Beez said:
devis said:
Why isn't the skimmer catching the debris? Maybe your filter needs to be cleaned?

Don't know... I've cleaned the filter daily for the past 4 days. It is catching but nowhere near enough.

I'm going to post some pics tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.