What return are your expecting (Value?)

From_Arizona

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Just curious, I have seen and received opinions that Arizona folks can expect a 10% return on investment on their pool build if it is appropriate...such as a $20 k pool for a $200k house, etc. Whart are your local comparisons?

I have been starting my analysis and we seem toi have gained the $ advantage doing the pool build ourselves with the upgrades. (increased decking, pool fogging, palapa, etc)

Yes, I am plastered...well, unfortunately not my pool tonight :cry:

Does anyone else have a comaprison build vs value they would like to share...
YES this took me 10+ minutes to post since i am so hammewred 8)

Around here, Maryland, the real estate agent I spoke with say that at best a pool might increase the value of the house by half the cost of the pool, and may sometimes actually reduce the value of the house.

Don't build a pool for value, build it if you want a place to swim. You will never get back 100% of what you spend. It might increase your value some, but it will decrease the number of prospective buyers as there are some people that would never buy a house that had a pool.

I would think the ability to recoup part of the cost for a pool is based on if pools are considered a standard feature for a house in the area. In PA they are not and we don't get much back from installing a pool when the house is sold. In your area Arizona I would think pools are more common and you may be better off with the economics of the situation.

Ive heard many different percentages.... I dont know what to believe statistically speaking.

I do, however, strongly believe (in AZ) it dramatically helps in the attractiveness of a house for a new buyer, especially a new buyer from a cooler state who is "worried" about the heat.

Some times in AZ homes are so hard to find it doesnt matter if there is a pool or not, but when it's slower, like right now, pools do aid in selling homes quicker.

Just look at the free pool incentives builders are promoting right now..."""buy a house, we pay for the pool"""... they know it helps the sale.

my 2cents.

Tyler

Sorry for digging up such old post but I think the subject is interesting.
From my opinion do a well build pool together with a well planned poolarea definately increase the value of the house. Just like any investment on your house, if it's well done it will pay off once you sell. Or what do you think?
Pool pics is the first thing they show in real estate ads over here

While pools do tend to increase the value, it takes a long time for the property to appreciate sufficiently to bear the cost of the pool.

Example:

House with no poo l= $200K
Build Pool 50K
Sell House after 1 year $230K
Sell House after 5 years $250K
Sell House after 10 tears $300K

Same House No Pool Built
Sell House after 1 year $210K
Sell House after 5 years $230K
Sell House after 10 tears $290K

Variables such as local market conditions, economy, etc... will vary but the point is made.

Scott

Answering the OP's question what return would I expect, should I have to sell the house (which is not ever in my future plans):

We expect nothing. Zero. We've been told that in our area, pools are very unpopular. People seem to prefer socializing at a community pool. Should ever we have to sell our house, we expect that the pool would hamper sales. We would have to find that one odd-duck buyer who couldn't live without a pool in order to sell our house in our area.

We searched high and low for a pool with a house (not a typo). But we are weird people who like to swim by ourselves, sometimes without bathing suits, often in the middle of the night and we like a pool that is open in April and November, none of which you can get with a community pool.

Oh! And we love a pool that has perfectly sparkling clean water--which we have thanks to everyone here on this website. :-D

Lana

Around here, a pool is a luxury item, and adds minimal value to a home for sale, and might restrict your pool of potential buyers.

I am going into building one with the mindset "we are here to stay, and I am spending this money for my pleasure, screw the value-add"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tell my clients it like a "pink Cadilac". Most people would like a Cadilac but not everyone wants pink one.

A well built pool won't increase the value of your home but a poorly built one will deffinately decrease it.

I think in Florida, it adds about that same 10%. I know a lot of the houses in my neighborhood have sold in the $140-160k without pools and $170-$2180k with, and those are all a similar size and floor plan.

SCEADU said:
I tell my clients it like a "pink Cadilac". Most people would like a Cadilac but not everyone wants pink one.

A well built pool won't increase the value of your home but a poorly built one will deffinately decrease it.
A nice looking pool is an attraction, but a crappy-looking pool is a repellant. I know - I was house-hunting 7-8 months ago. We saw several houses that looked okay, not ideal, but then we saw the cesspool there in the back yard and I thought, "Oh man, that's gonna cost a fortune to get cleaned up." Not just algae but cracked tiles, equipment that's just sitting there, disconnected with the shed around it collapsing, and peeling paint.

I have been looking to buy a home in the Central Valley California, with a pool. If you can find a sale home with a pool it makes sense to buy it that way, because then the pool is included with the house loan over 30-40 years, and will make a lower payment than having a house loan and pool loan, or a house loan and a second.

In any event, in looking around I haven't noticed a mark up for having a pool. I looked at two houses with the same sq feet, next to each other. One has the pool and the price is the same for either property. Other pool properties seem the same way. A few houses seemed marked up to allow for the pool costs.

When buying a house it is location, location, and square footage and price per sq. foot for your area. All the jazzed up landscape usually doesn't get you anything but a smile.

I did learn one thing today. A pool renovator told me that if he built me a pool, the warranty was good until I sold the home. So I assume the warranty is non-transferable. He also said to take an expert to check out the pool, and make sure it is brought up to code before you buy the house. Make sure the money is either there for the repairs, or the owners fix the damage before you sign on the line. Make sure you take an expert to see the pool for you.

He also told me a basic pool, no bells or whistles would be 23,000. to build a 80' circumference pool. Somewhere around $180. per square foot over that. I can see another $7,000. going into a nice small pool in California.

AND!!!! Check on the internet for complaints & BBB before chosing a pool company to build your pool. I read some horror stories for Swan Pools. The renovator told me not to get a company that "subs" their work out to other companies. Something goes wrong and getting a sub-contractor back to fix anything is nil. FAIL! My Swan internet notes assured me he is correct.

Wish ya well!! :party:

This one is completely dependent on the pool itself.
A crappy pool can and will drag the house down in price.
A good pool with modern equipment, will add a few bones to the price of your house as well as sell it quicker than the same relative house with no pool. The more comprehensive and well documented your package the more you can get.

It's only when you spend big money to make the pool warm AND affordable can you start to get real money back from it in my experience.

When I got divorced I had an open house to determine what the property was worth so I could payoff my ex and I got to listen to at least a dozen real estate agent explaining what they thought the value and costs of a pool were- it was enlightening what they told prospective buyers.

Real estate agents are quick to point out to a prospective buyer the costs of heating, pumping, maintenance, chemicals, and a pool guy- given a quick set of computations with few to no details the conversations went like this

One guy said it was worth minus 20K because no matter what you do a pool will cost you 500 a month- minimum so unless you are ready to spend 5K a year fill it in with dirt. He also said the killer is heating it and that that alone can be 700 a month at times in the offseason.

One gal said 15K heres why- heat 250 month, pool guy 100 month, chemical 75 month, maintenance 100 month electricity 100 month- and you wont use it.

One gal said - my pool was worth a lot 40K because It would be cheap to run and heat (she gets a gold star) she also pointed out I spent a lot of money getting it to where it was at and now that money was spent it was a good deal.

On guy said its worth 20K flat and that was all any pool was worth, and pointed to the cost of heating as a drawback.

Only a few agents bothered to question my actual install and most asked me how much "electricity" my solar water panels generated...........

Dave S.

I belive it's hard to calculate beforehand what a pool does to a house value even for a broker, just as little a well grown garden or whatever that brings something extra besides the house itself. Brokers have their list to go after that considers the building area and what other houses were sold for in same neighbourhood, besides from that they are more or less guessing.
We have a television show over here that confirms that, where a few real estate brokers competing against each other by guessing how much certain objects were sold for. most of the time they are not even close.
I'm gonna have my money back otherwise will I lift it up and bring it with me :wink:

We just bought a house with a pool in Tucson, and the "comparable sales" that were included as part of the appraisal showed that pools add value to a house (at least here!). A normal-size pool added $10,000; an attached spa brought it up to $15,000. Some larger or smaller pools were different accordingly.

I don't know how you could check something like that in your area. A real-estate agent should be able to tell you if there is a blanket value (positive or negative) attached to a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.