simple automation

no-mas

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2008
FL
Is there an inexpensive way to remotely control a couple of valve actuators? I'm not looking for full automation, but if I could operate my water features and/or cleaner from my patio or pool side, it would be great. Does x10 allow for this, or does anyone know of some other method?

Take a look at what I did. Its not a wireless remote, but the controls are located in a convienient spot.

I'm not a fan of X-10 - used it for various things and stray signals always were a problem for me.

If you are interested, I'd be happy to send you a parts list and answer any questions. But if all you want to do is turn some actuators, you can even do it cheaper and easier than what I've done.

diy-remote-wall-switch-for-pool-control-t17605.html

EDIT: Sorry - saw that you already knew about my setup.

I actually forgot about that old thread - and I even posted in it :hammer: . I'll need to re-read it - thanks for the heads up. I may be asking you some questions as I move forward...

You could go to smarthome and get a couple of their relay modules and actuate them using an Insteon controller. I'd stay away from X-10 because it has problems with interference on the power lines. CFL's and some laptop power supplies cause real problems for it. I've had to add several filters to laptop power supplies and the few CFL's to keep my X-10 stuff running. I'm in the process of changing all the X-10 stuff out as they go bad so we can use more CFL's.

Bama Rambler said:
You could go to smarthome and get a couple of their relay modules and actuate them using an Insteon controller. I'd stay away from X-10 because it has problems with interference on the power lines. CFL's and some laptop power supplies cause real problems for it. I've had to add several filters to laptop power supplies and the few CFL's to keep my X-10 stuff running. I'm in the process of changing all the X-10 stuff out as they go bad so we can use more CFL's.

I, too, have tried to use X-10 stuff over the years. Virtually all suffered from interference especially as we live within 2 miles of the largest "TV tower ranch" in the US. Many wireless things work, especially as more frequencies have opened up to consumers, but X-10 has been the worst for interference.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.