Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: simple automation

1. Back To Top    #1

simple automation

Is there an inexpensive way to remotely control a couple of valve actuators? I'm not looking for full automation, but if I could operate my water features and/or cleaner from my patio or pool side, it would be great. Does x10 allow for this, or does anyone know of some other method?
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: simple automation

Take a look at what I did. Its not a wireless remote, but the controls are located in a convienient spot.

I'm not a fan of X-10 - used it for various things and stray signals always were a problem for me.

If you are interested, I'd be happy to send you a parts list and answer any questions. But if all you want to do is turn some actuators, you can even do it cheaper and easier than what I've done.

diy-remote-wall-switch-for-pool-control-t17605.html

EDIT: Sorry - saw that you already knew about my setup.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I actually forgot about that old thread - and I even posted in it . I'll need to re-read it - thanks for the heads up. I may be asking you some questions as I move forward...
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

4. Back To Top    #4

You could go to smarthome and get a couple of their relay modules and actuate them using an Insteon controller. I'd stay away from X-10 because it has problems with interference on the power lines. CFL's and some laptop power supplies cause real problems for it. I've had to add several filters to laptop power supplies and the few CFL's to keep my X-10 stuff running. I'm in the process of changing all the X-10 stuff out as they go bad so we can use more CFL's.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Bama - I'll check that out also.
    jm

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You could go to smarthome and get a couple of their relay modules and actuate them using an Insteon controller. I'd stay away from X-10 because it has problems with interference on the power lines. CFL's and some laptop power supplies cause real problems for it. I've had to add several filters to laptop power supplies and the few CFL's to keep my X-10 stuff running. I'm in the process of changing all the X-10 stuff out as they go bad so we can use more CFL's.
    I, too, have tried to use X-10 stuff over the years. Virtually all suffered from interference especially as we live within 2 miles of the largest "TV tower ranch" in the US. Many wireless things work, especially as more frequencies have opened up to consumers, but X-10 has been the worst for interference.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine