Testing Cheap

polyvue

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2009
Sacramento, California USA
Always on the look out for cost containment, I decided to try a vendor that was mentioned by chem geek some months ago, being especially attracted to what seemed like a loss-leader price for the Taylor K-2006 test kit. The company’s prices for 2 ounce reagents are lower than most other company’s prices for the 3/4 ounce size. Amatoind is a small company and they don’t feature the entire Taylor line on their web site (but as a distributor, they can probably get it) and it appears they’re trying to expand the pool/spa segment of their business. I completed an order with them recently and was happy with the personal service, delivery and product. Shipping rates are typical: 15-20%. If you have reason to buy larger reagent sizes or just want a terrific deal on a Taylor test kit, I recommend them. Amatoind.com

Here are some current prices (as of 3/22/10):

Reagents said:
Taylor R-0003 DPD Reagent #3 60ml / 2 oz $4.75
Taylor R-0004 pH Indicator Solution 60ml / 2 oz $3.40
Taylor R-0005 Acid Demand #5 2 oz $2.96
Taylor R-0009 Sulfuric Acid .12N 60ml / 2 oz $2.83
Taylor R-0010 Calcium Buffer #10 60ml / 2 oz $4.27
Taylor R-0012 Hardness Reagent #12 60ml / 2 oz $3.48
Taylor R-0871 FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent 60ml / 2 oz $7.36
Taylor R-0013E Cyanuric Acid Reagent 480ml / 16 oz $6.86
Taylor R-0870I DPD Powder 10g $4.80
Test Kits said:
Taylor K-2006 (3/4 oz reagents) $46.25
Complete FAS-DPD Chlorine kit
Drop tests - FC CC TA CH CYA

Taylor K-2006C (2 oz reagents) $87.10
Complete FAS-DPD Chlorine kit
Drop tests - FC CC TA CH CYA

Taylor K-1264 $57.21
Copper & Iron Metals Kit
Midget comparators

PaulR said:
Note that the R-0004 is correct for the big tube in the K-2006 kit, but not for the little tube in the TF-100, which wants R-0014.
--paulr
Right. I posted this mainly for folks who need to buy reagents in larger volume and/or quantity, not necessarily for pool owners who just need refills for an existing TF-100 or K-2006 kit. Even 2 oz. reagents can be oversized unless you do a lot of testing or are managing multiple pools.

There are times when even a private pool owner might have to go through a whole lot of reagents, i.e., when cleaning up a swamp–and I speak from experience, unfortunately. I've bought various refills directly from Taylor because I was able to get larger amounts when needed. I buy the pH reagent at Leslie's; the price is the same as Dave's but I save the mailing cost. When I need to restock on 2 or 3 kit chemicals for the season I buy from Dave because I believe in supporting fellow forum members.

Thanks for the link. I missed it when chemgeek posted it earlier.

polyvue said:
Always on the look out for cost containment, I decided to try a vendor that was mentioned by chem geek some months ago, being especially attracted to what seemed like a loss-leader price for the Taylor K-2006 test kit.

They must be out or I'm blind. All I see is the K-2005 kit.

wait... found the k-2006c but it's $87.10.. definitely not a loss leader.

Am I just over looking it?

rastoma said:
They must be out or I'm blind. All I see is the K-2005 kit.

wait... found the k-2006c but it's $87.10.. definitely not a loss leader.

Am I just over looking it?
The one you are looking at with the "C" at the end has larger volumes of 2 ml instead of 0.75 ml for most reagents so has 2.67 times as much reagent so would be equivalent in price to $32.66. However, you'd likely have some reagents go bad after a few years and not use them up -- the indicator dyes could start going bad after a couple of years. The link I had earlier given for the normal 0.75 ml Taylor K-2006 (without the "C") kit is here.

You should compare test kits here since the Taylor K-2006 and the TFTestkits are somewhat different with the latter having more volume for most reagents (so is more economical than it first appears) and has some other differences.

As I noted in this post regarding an alternate source for a magnetic stirrer, you should recognize that by ordering from another vendor, you are depriving revenue from a small business (TFTestkits) that is also dedicated towards helping people through TFP. Your purchases are more than just economic choices, but social ones as well.

I only offer these links to other alternatives because they come up from other users, usually on other websites, and I believe in having full disclosure of information on this website free of specific commercial interests. That doesn't mean that I promote or encourage people to choose one over another, but do hope that people will consider the full consequences of their actions. I buy 12.5% chlorinating liquid from my local pool store, for example, even though they have often been more expensive than some other sources. I do this because they reuse the bottles which I consider to be better for the environment than recycling plastic jugs.

Richard

chem geek said:
The link I had earlier given for the normal 0.75 ml Taylor K-2006 (without the "C") kit is here.

Doing a keyword search for k2006 and k-2006 yielded nothing, so reason I couldn't find it doing a search.

chem geek said:
you should recognize that by ordering from another vendor, you are depriving revenue from a small business (TFTestkits) that is also dedicated towards helping people through TFP. Your purchases are more than just economic choices, but social ones as well.

I already have my full kit from tftestkits and have ordered replacement supplies.

At $36 though and not owning the Taylor recommended kit, it doesn't hurt to have a backup as often as I test.

Plus I don't understand the pricing at tftestkits.

They have the fas/dpd test kit for $26, but add all the items and buy them individually from the same site (the powder, exact size reagents, tube and scoop, 100% same items) and it's $21.65. Same thing with other tests and even the full kit. Now the full kit does come with the case, but buying the individual items under the refill section and it's quite a bit cheaper. That confuses me LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.