Opened pool today

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
I couldn't wait any longer :whoot:

Everyone is telling me I am crazy. Even my pb was questiong why I want to open this early in NY... LOL.

But what do they know?!? :mrgreen:

We had one 65degree day and I called him and told him to open it as fast as he could.

Its a slight bit green, but looking pretty good. I obviously won't use the pool for another 6 weeks, but Ill probably get into the attached spa as early as this weekend. :cheers:

I'd love to open early, too.

But....

My pump is busted & hubby needs to work on it.
A SWG needs to be connected somehow.

After that, I have a floating lounge seat. I'll be lounging on top of my sparkling pool, moved about by a slight breeze, cool beverage stored in the cup-holder, interesting book in my hand, happy birds singing in the trees nearby,........

Can't wait!!!

not crazy at all....we opened last weekend too (we are in Ohio). I was so tired of looking at the yucky black cover and the ducks were back swimming on top of it.

chris

It was 72 here over the weekend and i got 2 calls to come and open pools and i refused lol.. I told them they will regret it when next week is back in the 50's! They laughed and agreed! I woudl like to get started with work though.. what a long, horrible winter!

Man...most of you guys aren't much further south than I am (Wisconin) and my pool is still, for the most part, a large chunk of ice. I cannot believe your pools in OH, NY and PA are in the "liquid state" already. I think it'll be mid April, before I even consider opening.

I'm sorely tempted to go ahead & open it... but the fear of an unexpected overnight freeze has me cautious - don't want to crack something in the filter equipment... I guess I could run the pump all night if the temps are forecast below 32*.

OTOH, we won't be able to tolerate the temps till probably late May at least, so opening early just uses more chemicals & electricity. Decisions, decisions...

Though this brings on a question: what does the winter mesh cover do for us other than keep debris & small animals out? In other words, I could take the cover off but not start the filter for a few weeks more, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was going to open last week when the temps (here in Southern Ontario) were 16 celsius high and 6 celsius low. Glad I didn't, as it's going down to -6 celsius tonight (though it wouldn't have mattered - my pump comes on automatically when it hits 34 F).

However, I usually open on April 1 no matter the temp/weather. It's looking good for this next Thursday with daytime highs of 16c and the long term forecast showing temps above 0c from then on.

The temps in NY are supposed to hit 25f - 30f over night the next couple of nights.
Which means running the pump all night for a few days. But I run the pump 24 hours all summer anyway :hammer:

I opened almost a week ago when I wrote the original thread and my pump has been running non-stop since :) I dont think year after year I really notice much change to my energy bill.

I like to keep that water circulated. Keeps the pool sparkling clean :cheers:

DSC00555-1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.