Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opened pool today

1. Back To Top    #1

Opened pool today

I couldn't wait any longer

Everyone is telling me I am crazy. Even my pb was questiong why I want to open this early in NY... LOL.

But what do they know?!?

We had one 65degree day and I called him and told him to open it as fast as he could.

Its a slight bit green, but looking pretty good. I obviously won't use the pool for another 6 weeks, but Ill probably get into the attached spa as early as this weekend.
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opened pool today

Quote Originally Posted by mitch08
    I couldn't wait any longer [...]
    Please post an entire set of test results before you announce that your pool is open. It will just make everyone else feel a lot better.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

Doesn't seem crazy to me at all, LOL
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd love to open early, too.

But....

My pump is busted & hubby needs to work on it.
    A SWG needs to be connected somehow.

After that, I have a floating lounge seat. I'll be lounging on top of my sparkling pool, moved about by a slight breeze, cool beverage stored in the cup-holder, interesting book in my hand, happy birds singing in the trees nearby,........

Can't wait!!!
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

5. Back To Top    #5

not crazy at all....we opened last weekend too (we are in Ohio). I was so tired of looking at the yucky black cover and the ducks were back swimming on top of it.

chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

6. Back To Top    #6

I better get mine open. I feel like a slacker!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

It was 72 here over the weekend and i got 2 calls to come and open pools and i refused lol.. I told them they will regret it when next week is back in the 50's! They laughed and agreed! I woudl like to get started with work though.. what a long, horrible winter!
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

8. Back To Top    #8

Man...most of you guys aren't much further south than I am (Wisconin) and my pool is still, for the most part, a large chunk of ice. I cannot believe your pools in OH, NY and PA are in the "liquid state" already. I think it'll be mid April, before I even consider opening.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm sorely tempted to go ahead & open it... but the fear of an unexpected overnight freeze has me cautious - don't want to crack something in the filter equipment... I guess I could run the pump all night if the temps are forecast below 32*.

OTOH, we won't be able to tolerate the temps till probably late May at least, so opening early just uses more chemicals & electricity. Decisions, decisions...

Though this brings on a question: what does the winter mesh cover do for us other than keep debris & small animals out? In other words, I could take the cover off but not start the filter for a few weeks more, right?
    29,000 gal. vinyl in-ground mountain lake (freeform); Hayward DE filter, 2 skimmers, Aquabot, Nature 2 (retired); LoopLoc winter cover, Pool installed March 2009... Added 2 - 4 X 20 Fafco Solar Bears with Goldline control and AutoPilot SWG in 2010

10. Back To Top    #10

I was sooooo tempted this week as I was working in the yard in shorts then....
    WHUMMMP - two foot of snow last night

I miss her and get angry at snow now as I have to get it off the cover...
    25k Inground Vinyl - 3ft to 10ft, Tagelus TA-60 Sand, Minimax 400 Heater, Save T3 autocover.

11. Back To Top    #11

I was going to open last week when the temps (here in Southern Ontario) were 16 celsius high and 6 celsius low. Glad I didn't, as it's going down to -6 celsius tonight (though it wouldn't have mattered - my pump comes on automatically when it hits 34 F).

However, I usually open on April 1 no matter the temp/weather. It's looking good for this next Thursday with daytime highs of 16c and the long term forecast showing temps above 0c from then on.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star 1HP (1.85) pump, Hayward sand filter
    Nine Fafco Sunsaver 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

12. Back To Top    #12

The temps in NY are supposed to hit 25f - 30f over night the next couple of nights.
    Which means running the pump all night for a few days. But I run the pump 24 hours all summer anyway

I opened almost a week ago when I wrote the original thread and my pump has been running non-stop since I dont think year after year I really notice much change to my energy bill.

I like to keep that water circulated. Keeps the pool sparkling clean

18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Mitch that is just gorgeous!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

14. Back To Top    #14

Nice Mitch!!
    25k Inground Vinyl - 3ft to 10ft, Tagelus TA-60 Sand, Minimax 400 Heater, Save T3 autocover.