Perfection, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Has anyone tried applying isocyanine insulation to an above ground pool? Ours is surrounded by a deck so the foam wouldn't be visible. Doing it should lengthen the season substantially. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I just met with a family in the same area with an in ground vinyl pool; they can use their pool at least 2 more months than we can and they don't even put a winter cover over it. Being here in the 120+ mph wind zone solar panels become a bit problematic. While we don't get hurricanes every year, we can get a 75 mph thunderstorm on a typical afternoon. Reducing the heat loss through the metal sides was the effect I was hoping for.

I really doubt you'll see much benefit. There's about 3 times as much area on the surface as the sides. Solar panels in hurricane country is routine.

Snark said:
LOL!! Yeah, but when you live on a swamp the cost of the concrete to hold it down costs more than the collectors!

You'd be surprised how wind resistant they are. Mine are on the pool house, which sits at 90 degrees to the house. I went to the nearest window to watch a storm hit shortly after I installed them. 60 mph winds and I never saw them move.

Moderators.... please move this if necessary.

I too have a concern about wind as we sometimes get at or greater than 70 mph winds. For many of us it would be great to have more reports of real world experience with solar and high winds, what panels are being used, how attached and to what surface they are attached and elevation. And solar intensity and max temps of location.

gg=alice :)

I'm a residential gc. Dealing with wind can be a real eye opener. I can't attach to a structure, so it would have to be self supported and anchored. Remember: E=mv2. An increase from 60 to 80 mph results in more than double the energy. Unfortunately the Florida Center just advises cross strapping for "gusty" conditions. 120 mph is certainly gusty! I, too, would like to hear from others in the Sunshine State on how they prepare panels for hurricane conditions.

Not to hijack the second part of this thread but to answer the OP's first question about insulation - YES it would in fact help to conserve more heat loss on a steel sided pool as long as you are using a cover and perhaps heating with solar panels to start with? There are pools that are MADE with insulating panels - we have considered doing this as well. The heat lose out the top/water surface is minimized by using an appropriate solar cover but we continue to lose our daily gains to cool night temps - this is due to the cooler night temps and wind on the sides of the metal pool bringing the temp down. We have been advised by several that insulating the sides does help - the manner you choose to insulate is the question due to asthetic reasons but if it's covered by a deck all the way around then probably not an issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, NWMNMom. Being Waaay NW MN means to me being in southern Canada! Been to NE MN. Beautiful in June. by January it's Shivagoland.
Anyway...the numbers indicate that surface area of my 16X32X48" pool is about twice the side exposure. So if I can virtually eliminate the side loss, then I've cut the total by 1/3. Which also reduces the gain requirements. So if I can reduce the surface loss as well, the required input becomes reasonable. I've studied energy in all forms since grade school (unfortunately they were government schools,) insulation has always made sense and cents when considering energy costs, losses and gains.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.