Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AG insulation

1. Back To Top    #1

AG insulation

Has anyone tried applying isocyanine insulation to an above ground pool? Ours is surrounded by a deck so the foam wouldn't be visible. Doing it should lengthen the season substantially. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    16X32 AB, Jacuzzi Laser 190 19" sand filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AG insulation

While it would certainly help, I don't think it would help as much as you might think. A solar cover and solar panels would help the most.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I just met with a family in the same area with an in ground vinyl pool; they can use their pool at least 2 more months than we can and they don't even put a winter cover over it. Being here in the 120+ mph wind zone solar panels become a bit problematic. While we don't get hurricanes every year, we can get a 75 mph thunderstorm on a typical afternoon. Reducing the heat loss through the metal sides was the effect I was hoping for.
    16X32 AB, Jacuzzi Laser 190 19" sand filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

4. Back To Top    #4

I really doubt you'll see much benefit. There's about 3 times as much area on the surface as the sides. Solar panels in hurricane country is routine.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

LOL!! Yeah, but when you live on a swamp the cost of the concrete to hold it down costs more than the collectors!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Snark
    LOL!! Yeah, but when you live on a swamp the cost of the concrete to hold it down costs more than the collectors!
    You'd be surprised how wind resistant they are. Mine are on the pool house, which sits at 90 degrees to the house. I went to the nearest window to watch a storm hit shortly after I installed them. 60 mph winds and I never saw them move.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Moderators.... please move this if necessary.

I too have a concern about wind as we sometimes get at or greater than 70 mph winds. For many of us it would be great to have more reports of real world experience with solar and high winds, what panels are being used, how attached and to what surface they are attached and elevation. And solar intensity and max temps of location.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

8. Back To Top    #8

You folks with wind concerns might want to check out the Florida Solar Energy Center Florida Solar Energy Center section on pool heating. I don't see wind guidelines there at first glance, but I'd think they'd discuss that someplace on the site.
    TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm a residential gc. Dealing with wind can be a real eye opener. I can't attach to a structure, so it would have to be self supported and anchored. Remember: E=mv2. An increase from 60 to 80 mph results in more than double the energy. Unfortunately the Florida Center just advises cross strapping for "gusty" conditions. 120 mph is certainly gusty! I, too, would like to hear from others in the Sunshine State on how they prepare panels for hurricane conditions.

10. Back To Top    #10

Not to hijack the second part of this thread but to answer the OP's first question about insulation - YES it would in fact help to conserve more heat loss on a steel sided pool as long as you are using a cover and perhaps heating with solar panels to start with? There are pools that are MADE with insulating panels - we have considered doing this as well. The heat lose out the top/water surface is minimized by using an appropriate solar cover but we continue to lose our daily gains to cool night temps - this is due to the cooler night temps and wind on the sides of the metal pool bringing the temp down. We have been advised by several that insulating the sides does help - the manner you choose to insulate is the question due to asthetic reasons but if it's covered by a deck all the way around then probably not an issue.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks, NWMNMom. Being Waaay NW MN means to me being in southern Canada! Been to NE MN. Beautiful in June. by January it's Shivagoland.
    Anyway...the numbers indicate that surface area of my 16X32X48" pool is about twice the side exposure. So if I can virtually eliminate the side loss, then I've cut the total by 1/3. Which also reduces the gain requirements. So if I can reduce the surface loss as well, the required input becomes reasonable. I've studied energy in all forms since grade school (unfortunately they were government schools,) insulation has always made sense and cents when considering energy costs, losses and gains.