Warranty replacement for Goldline Aqua-Rite flow sensor

Mar 17, 2010
Mobile, Alabama
I bought my unit in November 2005, but didn't get my pool finished, and the unit installed, until June 2007. The warranty is supposed to cover replacement of defective parts 100% for 3 yrs from date of initial installation, and at a charge of 60% between 3 and 5 yrs. I have determined I have a bad flow sensor (unit works fine when it's jumped). The Goldline rep I talked to said only way they can replace it under warranty is for me to pay a technician to come out and replace, and then they can only go on the date of production (I can provide them with plenty of "written proof" from plenty of people who helped me install the initial liner on June 2, 2007). I don't see why they are being so consumer-unfriendly about this. Anyone had a similar experience with Goldline?

poolcat, unfortunately the policy will be similar from manufacturer to manufacturer. You'll need to speak with a manager to override this. Can you imagine if we just accepted a "date of installation" without any proof?
If this was an AutoPilot unit, we would accept a letter from the builder or some other form of evidence that the pool was not started up until 2007. Short of having this, the only other information we have is the date of manufacture (indicated by the serial number) or your original invoice.
Having said that, I believe there was another post on the Goldline flow switch available on line, at a lower cost than you would pay for the service center to come out, or lower than your proration portion for the replacement part.
Personally, had you purchased an AutoPilot unit, I would have covered it at no charge and send it from inventory I have in my garage... just sayin' ; )

Thanks, poolsean. Yes, I can understand why they would say they have to have proof. But that's what their warranty says -- that they will cover 100% from date of install, unless proof of date of install is not provided. The builder's statement would only be my own word, of course, since I am the builder. But I could give signatures of several helpers and neighbors as witnesses. I probably still have all the water bills since 2005, showing the 20,000 gallon spike in June '07, when I first filled. Heck, you can probably still see the fall 2006 aerial view on Google Earth, showing the big mudhole in my back yard! :lol: This would be enough in any courtroom -- not that I want to go there for a $100 switch.

What got me is that the rep was not even offering to honor the warranty unless I paid a tech to come out and check it out. I read posts on old forums from years past where it seemed that Goldline talked folks through the diagnosis over the phone and then mailed them a new switch under warranty. Seems like maybe they have changed. Maybe I do need to call back and talk to a manager.

I did order one today from Harwil Corporation, but I think Goldline should have to honor their warranty and send me another. It might be good for me to have a spare switch around, anyway.

I had a similar experience - my display was reading "hot" last year, and golodline helped me diagnose over the phone. Ultimately they determined the cell went bad, but my only avenue for replacement was to pay a tech $80 to come out to the house and replace it. I just didn't have the time, or desire, to make an issue out of it... but certainly the warranty process leaves something to be desired.

I'm thinking once my new flow switch arrives and it's installed and working, I'll just pack the old one up and mail it back to Goldline with a statement signed by several of my neighbors/witnesses saying I installed it on 6/2/07, and tell them I would like for them to mail me a new one under warranty. It will be interesting to see how they react.

No-mas, can't resist giving you a big Roll Tide! :) Really, it's playing fine folks like the Gators that makes the game so much fun. My youngest & I went to the local Wynnsong Theatre last year to watch the Gators win the BCS in 3-D. Neat. We always like to see the SEC do well, even when my alma mater can't take top honors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.