Just tested with TF-100

Jul 19, 2007
Katy, TX
UGH! Okay, got the TF-100 today and imm. tested. It took me forever but here are my results:

FC = 2.5
CC = 0
TC = 2.5 **on the taylor test it read 2
pH = 7.65
T/A = 60
CH = 150 ***okay, when the water turned blue there were these pink flakes floating through it, is this okay?
slowly = Did not register. The instruction say to slowely add the mixture to the tube with the black dot. To hold at waist level and add slowly until you can no longer see the black dot....poured almost whole thing in their (filled to brim) and could see the black dot plain as day. Not a clue what to do about this or if this is possible????

Temp = 86

Okay, what am I to do???? I am a pool dummy and have only shocked my pool once (a long time ago and added alot of MA since I have had it ~April 2007)

~Andrea

You are doing fine. Your numbers could use some adjusting, but there aren't any serious problems.

Pink flakes on the CH test don't change the result of the CH test. They sometimes mean that there are some metals in your water, but the level might still be quite low.

Still seeing the black dot on the CYA test with the TF Test Kit means you level is below 20. You should get your CYA level up to at least 30. With a SWG most manufacturers suggest 60-80, but if your FC level is holding it isn't crucial that you bring it above 30. Higher CYA levels allow you to run the SWG at a lower percentage and that extends cell life.

Your TA is acceptable, at the very low end of what I generally recommend for a SWG, but with all that aeration the low level might help to hold you PH steady.

CH is low, you should bring it up to somewhere around 250-300. As it is you shouldn't let your PH go below 7.3 or 7.4 till you bring the CH up.

Thanks for getting back to me. I went ahead and added CYA last night. Any idea how long until I test again? I just got some CH so will add that in a bit. Actually I have been fighting the TA for the past couple months as it was holding around 150. So now what do I do to bring it up?? I don't want my pH to come up anymore. How are my chlorine levels?? Should I get them higher? Thanks so much!

Your FC was fine, given what your CYA level was. As you bring up the CYA you will need to adjust the FC level up a little. With a CYA of 30 to 50 I would hold FC somewhere between 3 and 6.

CYA can take up to a week to disolve.

Baking soda will bring up TA, and it will also bring the PH up a little. There is no getting around that that I know of.

So, may I ask your opinion on what I should do? I added CYA last night and then added CH about 30m ago. Should I go ahead and add the baking soda and if so, roughly how much? Then when should I test again, tomorrow? I am also guessing that I should not test CYA until next week? Once I get my CYA level good then I should adjust my chl level? Sorry for all the questions, I am just so clueless and pool school was a joke! Thanks for all your time!

With a SWG once you get used to it you can leave it for a couple of days at a time. But for now I would test chlorine and PH daily, preferably in the late afternoon or early evening. You want to adjust the SWG percentage so that FC is at least 2 in the late afternoon or early evening. It will tend to be a little higher at other times of day, depending on when you run your pump. When/if your CYA level gets to 50 or 60 then you should aim for 3. If you have any problems, slightly dull water or algae, then bump your goal level up by 1 or perhaps 2.

The rest of the tests, except CYA, are normally done weekly, or every other week once things settle down. CYA is only done ocasionally.

Your TA is aceptable for now. If it goes down then bring it back up, but I don't see any reason to bother with it right now.

Don't add anything that increases the PH for 12 or more hours after adding calcium. That means no borax, PH Up, soda ash, baking soda, or shocking the pool.

Give CH and TA four to eight hours, or better a day, before retesting after adding chemicals. Give the CYA a week after adding before retesting. Most everythign else can be retested after a couple of hours (asumming the pump is running).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.