Sand Filter Pressure Gauge

Barfus

Dec 27, 2009
Middle TN
Pool friends,

I am still making rounds over everything for starting up my pool in Spring. The one thing I noticed unusual is the pressure gauge on top of the sand filter. It says 8 psi. Are these just cheap gauges and this error is normal? Should I replace it? Could there really be 8 psi on the gauge? Nothing is running and hasn't been since October of last year. The valve is also set to the Winter position.

Thanks everyone for helping me with my earlier posts!

:-D

They're cheap gauges and there is always a little water left in the bourdon tube so it's prone to freezing and permanently deforming it causing the gauge to read erratically. I'd replace it with a little better quality while I was at it.

You can get the same gauge at a farm store for quite a bit less than a pool store sells it. You can also get a larger gauge there with larger numbers if your eyes are as bad as mine. I've never had one make it through the winter stored outside. Mine spent the winter in the sock drawer this year, so I hope to get a second year out of it.

If your filter is outdoors, keep the old gauge to use as a plug for the gauge port to keep water out of the filter during the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.