Help with filter

Mar 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
As you can tell by my username, I am a total pool newbie. So new, in fact, that I don't even know how many gallons are in my pool or how to even figure that out.

I inherited my parent's house which came with a pool, and I have NO IDEA what to do with it. The filter doesn't seem to be working, it runs, but the water is not really flowing. I think I need to clean/backwash it, but I'm afraid to do anything. I've done some googling, but can't find any directions. There are directions on the filter, but it references a "valve" and I have no idea which valve they are referencing.

I am posting a pic with two valves circled, one in red, the other green.

pool_filter.jpg

The green is a "Jandy" valve

jandy.jpg

I don't know what the red one is.

other.jpg

I feel like a pool moron, please help! I don't want to do anything stupid and blow up my filter or something.

Welcome to the forum.

The backwash valve is in red. The green valve is probably for a cleaner line.

Here is the manual for the FNS filter: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/FNSOM.pdf

To backwash, shut off the pump, pull the backwash handle upwards until it stops. Unwind that blue flexible hose to somewhere you won't mind a lot of water and some DE. Turn on pump and wait till the water runs clean then shut off the pump. Return the backwash valve to the normal position. You will then need to recharge the DE filter per instructions in the manual.

mas985 said:
Welcome to the forum.

The backwash valve is in red. The green valve is probably for a cleaner line.

Here is the manual for the FNS filter: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/FNSOM.pdf

To backwash, shut off the pump, pull the backwash handle upwards until it stops. Unwind that blue flexible hose to somewhere you won't mind a lot of water and some DE. Turn on pump and wait till the water runs clean then shut off the pump. Return the backwash valve to the normal position. You will then need to recharge the DE filter per instructions in the manual.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:whoot:

First, fear is common but easily overcome. Courage is fear that has said it's prayers.

Note the pressure on the filter's pressure gauge and let us know the result.

The green one controls how water get to the pump. Typically, this configuration is for the bottom drain and skimmer. Make sure the water is 1/2 way up the skimmer mouth.

Read the Pool School.

Keep asking questions.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
First, fear is common but easily overcome. Courage is fear that has said it's prayers.

Note the pressure on the filter's pressure gauge and let us know the result.

The green one controls how water get to the pump. Typically, this configuration is for the bottom drain and skimmer. Make sure the water is 1/2 way up the skimmer mouth.

Read the Pool School.

Keep asking questions.

Scott

Thanks! Fear is definitely an issue with this, but I will attempt to overcome it one step at a time. Things that can explode scare the heck out of me as I once experienced an explosion and was injured.

I need to print out the manual tomorrow (no printer available at the moment) and read the pertinent bits, then I'll make an attempt.

I appreciate all the help! And I'll definitely be frequenting this forum and asking questions. Next up after this, I will be working on the water chemistry... I'm sure the pool school will help a lot with that.

You say it runs, but the water's not flowing.. see that black coffee-can-looking thing with the clear lid? Is it full of water, and do you see movement? Is it packed full of leaves?

It's important to know if the water is flowing at all or not. The fact that the pump makes noise doesn't indicate much, except that the motor turns. Somewhere in the side of the pool there will be a skimmer, which should have water halfway up it. Inside (there's a round lid on the deck to lift off) there should be noticeable water movement. Is there? Is the strainer basket inside? Is it full of leaves, sticks, bugs, etc.?

If all else fails, post your location. There may be someone on the board who lives near by and could come help figure things out. There ain't much to do with pools right now unless you live in a tropical climate, it would relieve boredom.

Richard320 said:
You say it runs, but the water's not flowing.. see that black coffee-can-looking thing with the clear lid? Is it full of water, and do you see movement? Is it packed full of leaves?

It's important to know if the water is flowing at all or not. The fact that the pump makes noise doesn't indicate much, except that the motor turns. Somewhere in the side of the pool there will be a skimmer, which should have water halfway up it. Inside (there's a round lid on the deck to lift off) there should be noticeable water movement. Is there? Is the strainer basket inside? Is it full of leaves, sticks, bugs, etc.?

If all else fails, post your location. There may be someone on the board who lives near by and could come help figure things out. There ain't much to do with pools right now unless you live in a tropical climate, it would relieve boredom.

The thing with the clear lid... I did not see water going through it. Should I open it and see what's going on in there?

I cleaned out the skimmer (it was full of leaves), the basket is in there, and water is in it, but no noticeable water movement.

Oh, and I live in the Phoenix area, it's just starting to really warm up here.

The thing with the clear lid is called the pump basket. Sometimes you won't "see" water in it because there is no air in basket, a good thing, so it looks clear but sometimes you will see the leaves or debris move around as the water circulates. After you clean out the pump basket, report back what the filter pressure gauge reads.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PoolGuyNJ said:
Remove the lid on the pump. If there is no water, add a gallon or so and put the lid on tightly enough to seal against the rubber o-ring. Turn the pump back on. Give it few minutes. It should be full of water.

Scott

The lid on the pump being the "pump basket" as referenced above? This is great guys. Keep it coming.

mas985 said:
The thing with the clear lid is called the pump basket. Sometimes you won't "see" water in it because there is no air in basket, a good thing, so it looks clear but sometimes you will see the leaves or debris move around as the water circulates. After you clean out the pump basket, report back what the filter pressure gauge reads.

I'll do this first thing tonight when I get home.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Can't see the top of the filter in the pic but is there an air-bleed valve? to release any air trapped in the filter? Also make sure all the valves (if any) are set open and not blocked.

An air bleed valve on top of the filter itself? I believe so, but I'll take a gander at it when I get home... might have more questions about that later. I'll also check the valves, but I think they are both set to "open".

The green area valve is the valve coming from the pool (suctions side) coming from your skimmer or skimmers and/or the main drain. Yours is set up just like mine. I have one line coming from the main drain and one line coming from one skimmer. This valve, when working properly allows you to control the amount of water allowed from either line or to shut the line(s) off completely. I looks like your handle is pointed in the right direction to allow equal flow from both lines. If it were pointed so that the handle was pointing away from the line that leads to the pump then it would be closed ("off" would be nearest the line going to pump). That is if the handle is placed properly on the valve. I have two Jandy three way valves like yours but I share one handle between the two as one was lost years ago. I think the handle will go on only one way but I'm not totally sure.

gg=alice

geekgranny said:
The green area valve is the valve coming from the pool (suctions side) coming from your skimmer or skimmers and/or the main drain. Yours is set up just like mine. I have one line coming from the main drain and one line coming from one skimmer. This valve, when working properly allows you to control the amount of water allowed from either line or to shut the line(s) off completely. I looks like your handle is pointed in the right direction to allow equal flow from both lines. If it were pointed so that the handle was pointing away from the line that leads to the pump then it would be closed ("off" would be nearest the line going to pump). That is if the handle is placed properly on the valve. I have two Jandy three way valves like yours but I share one handle between the two as one was lost years ago. I think the handle will go on only one way but I'm not totally sure.

gg=alice

Thanks Alice!

With valves for pools, an easy way to remember the positions is that the control always points to what it's closing; imagine the valve handle is the back of an arrow. In your case, the side labeled "off" is the "front" of the arrow.

In the picture, it's pointing to nothing, so it's closing nothing.

OK, I cleaned out the pump basket, which was full of leaves and stuff, so I think that was the problem. Put water in it and closed the lid. Started the pump, and the PSI jumped to 20. Shut it off and opened the bleeder valve to release the air. Turned the pump back on and it jumped to 20 again! :shock:

I'm scared it will blow up. Suggestions?

pooln00b said:
OK, I cleaned out the pump basket, which was full of leaves and stuff, so I think that was the problem. Put water in it and closed the lid. Started the pump, and the PSI jumped to 20. Shut it off and opened the bleeder valve to release the air. Turned the pump back on and it jumped to 20 again! :shock:

Open the bleeder while it's running, that will get the air out. Just crack it a little bit; as soon as water starts coming out, close it.
20 psi may be okay for your filter - mine runs at 16 right after a cleaning.

I'd say get the air out and let it run a while. Look for good water flow in the skimmer and in the outlets, listen for any weird noises, and if things are good, relax.

20 PSI is not unusually high so you are fine. Do you happen to know what size pump you have? If you can't find a model #, on the motor nameplate should be both a horse power (HP) and service factor (SF) rating. Also, you want to have the pump running when you bled the air out of the filter. Just open the air valve enough to hear it hissing.

Richard320 said:
pooln00b said:

Open the bleeder while it's running, that will get the air out. Just crack it a little bit; as soon as water starts coming out, close it.
20 psi may be okay for your filter - mine runs at 16 right after a cleaning.

I'd say get the air out and let it run a while. Look for good water flow in the skimmer and in the outlets, listen for any weird noises, and if things are good, relax.

OK, I did this and the water seems to be flowing out of the jets etc. It's running at about 21 PSI right now.

mas985 said:
20 PSI is not unusually high so you are fine. Do you happen to know what size pump you have? If you can't find a model #, on the motor nameplate should be both a horse power (HP) and service factor (SF) rating. Also, you want to have the pump running when you bled the air out of the filter. Just open the air valve enough to hear it hissing.

It's dark now so I can't find the number, but I'll check it first thing in the morning.

Thanks guys!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.