My numbers

Jul 15, 2009
New inground pool, pebblesheen finish, filled and running for 3 months.
Inline chlorinator, trichlor tablets, plus ClearO3 ozonator.
I can't seem to get the over 2.0.

Current numbers (TF100):
FC 1.0
TC 1.0
pH 8.0
TA 140
CH 260
CYA 40

Pool Calculator recommends 68 oz. bleach and 23 oz. MA. I've been adding MA regularly, but this is my first time to add bleach. How do I properly add the bleach, and will it do any harm to my new pool?

Thanks,

If you are using tablets to chlorinate, it makes raising your FC a very slow process. Good on ya for considering bleach. You need to watch the tablet usage closely now since your CYA is right in the middle of optimum.

No, bleach won't harm your pool. You simply measure it out and pour it in front of a return jet with the pump running.

Your pH is high at 8. Your pH will climb aggressively during the first year of your new pool surface. You mustn't let the pH get too high. You might want to see about lowering your TA in order to make controlling pH rise a little easier.

Have you had a chance to read the Pool School articles? Good information to be found in there.

How does your water look?

What is your FC goal you wish to maintain?

What is the CYA goal you wish to maintain?

What target pH are you shooting for?

Have cc's tested 1.0 or greater anytime before this test?

How long has it been since you shocked the pool?

Sorry for so many questions but your answers will be very helpful.

How does your water look? clear and sparkling

What is your FC goal you wish to maintain? at least 3.0

What is the CYA goal you wish to maintain? not sure

What target pH are you shooting for? 7.6

Have cc's tested 1.0 or greater anytime before this test? A few times, it tested 2.0 to 3.0. I'm testing every other day.

How long has it been since you shocked the pool? never

Yeah, it's time to shock. The CC's above .5ppm indicate that as does the fact that you can't hold chlorine. You have invisible organics (algae) in your pool, I believe. You're in sort of a state of equilibrium in that you have enough chlorine to control them but not to kill them.

I would suggest you shock the pool with bleach or liquid Chlorine. If you need assistance, don't hesitate. It is a process and not a one-time event of adding some clorox. There's a good article in pool school but we'll all help, too.

Once your shock is complete, I will believe you can use far less chlorine and will be able to keep it around 3-5ppm easily.

I would also suggest you look very soon for an alternate source of chlorine other than the pucks. Unless you have a lot of splashout, your CYA will continue to increase and you really don't want to exceed 50ppm. (Clorox is always the very best....just a little more lifting.) :lol:

If the water is clear and sparkly and CC has always been 0 then no, you don't need to shock.

The occasional dose of bleach is necessary even when using tablets, and the higher the CYA level climbs the harder it will be to maintain the appropriate FC level ratio by tabs alone. Pretty soon you will want to use only bleach. I agree with Dave, you don't want your CYA any higher than 50ish.

For the PH, each time it creeps up to 7.8 (or higher) calculate your MA dose, targeting 7.2. This will also lower your TA a little. Eventually it will bring the TA into range, and you should see the PH drift begin to slow as the months pass. The tablets are helping keep the PH down - when you stop using them you may see the PH drift more rapidly then you are used to. But just target 7.2 instead of targeting 7.6. Hope that makes sense...

I would pick a CYA target, and then use the tabs only until you get there. In a pool your size, each tab will increase CYA by roughly 2ppm, so that's a way to figure about how many more tabs to use. (I use my tabs as a CYA source in the spring, in just this way. If I ever run out, then I'll start using straight conditioner.)

As Dave says, Clorox is widely available and consistently good quality 6% bleach. If you have a local pool store that carries "liquid chlorine" at 10% or 12%, you should do some comparison-pricing to see which is cheapest.
--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PaulR said:
I agree, with a new plaster pool the pH will be climbing a lot; targeting a lower pH will keep scaling risk to a minimum and over time TA will resolve itself.
--paulr

Gotcha. That makes sense. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.