New Product Recommended By MY Pool Builder

primetime

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2008
Sinking Spring, PA
Because I take great care in keeping my pool water in shape (Thanks to TFP and TF-100) my pool builder is going to give me a discount to try a new product as long as I report back the results. He (and I ) use Natural Chemistry products which I have found to work fine. I used the Monthly Salt Water Magic kit, and the Fall and Spring Closing kits. I use muriatic acid and bleach as needed.

The product is called Foundation. Here is what it contains:(sorry for the formatting, but I was copying out of a PDF)

Ingredient(s) CAS # Percent
Disodium salt of ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid 6381-92-6 5 - 10
Sodium tetraborate pentahydrate 12179-04-3 40 - 70
Boric acid (H3BO3) 10043-35-3 30 - 60
Lanthanum sulfate 10099-60-2 1 - 5

As best I can tell it looks like borates which is similar to what I have read on this site. And something I was going to try this year anyway. This may just be an expensive way to add borates!!!! Anyway, does anyone see anything harmful in this product?

I check my water weekly with TF-100 kit and follow the TFP guidelines for Salt Water Pools. Once locked in, the only thing I add is a weekly does of muriatic acid to keep the pH down.

Thanks for the help!

primetime said:
Ingredient(s) CAS # Percent
Disodium salt of ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid 6381-92-6 5 - 10

This is a metal chelator. It's not harmful, but adding it mixed in the "Foundation" this way, you really dont know how much your adding based on pol size or even need. EDTA is not bad, but a metal sequesterant is a better bet. One based on phosphonic acid like Jack's Magic is what a lot of people use if they have metals.

primetime said:
Sodium tetraborate pentahydrate 12179-04-3 40 - 70
Boric acid (H3BO3) 10043-35-3 30 - 60

All this is basically boric acid. You would be better off if you wanted to add borates to you pool to do it like it says in pool school and use 20 mule team borax from the grocery.

primetime said:
Lanthanum sulfate 10099-60-2 1 - 5

This is a phosphate remover. Generally not needed.

primetime said:
Anyway, does anyone see anything harmful in this product?

Only thing harmful, really, would be the price if you bought it!

One of the driving tenants of this site is not to add uneeded or unwanted chemicals to your pool. That looks like a lot of chemicals to be adding to your pool some or all of which you may not need. It looks like a celating agent and a phosphate remover with boric acid borax. Do you need these things?

P.S. Please edit your signature to no more than 5 lines if you don't mind. Here's a link to the rule in case you haven't read it. Rules for Signatures and Avatars. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.