Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Product Recommended By MY Pool Builder

1. Back To Top    #1

New Product Recommended By MY Pool Builder

Because I take great care in keeping my pool water in shape (Thanks to TFP and TF-100) my pool builder is going to give me a discount to try a new product as long as I report back the results. He (and I ) use Natural Chemistry products which I have found to work fine. I used the Monthly Salt Water Magic kit, and the Fall and Spring Closing kits. I use muriatic acid and bleach as needed.

The product is called Foundation. Here is what it containssorry for the formatting, but I was copying out of a PDF)

Ingredient(s) CAS # Percent
    Disodium salt of ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid 6381-92-6 5 - 10
    Sodium tetraborate pentahydrate 12179-04-3 40 - 70
    Boric acid (H3BO3) 10043-35-3 30 - 60
    Lanthanum sulfate 10099-60-2 1 - 5

As best I can tell it looks like borates which is similar to what I have read on this site. And something I was going to try this year anyway. This may just be an expensive way to add borates!!!! Anyway, does anyone see anything harmful in this product?

I check my water weekly with TF-100 kit and follow the TFP guidelines for Salt Water Pools. Once locked in, the only thing I add is a weekly does of muriatic acid to keep the pH down.

Thanks for the help!
    4th Year Pool owner in Sinking Spring PA
    46'x23' Free Form Concrete (34,000 gallons), Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen Finish, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair D.E. FNS Filter, Pentair MasterTemp heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Product Recommended By MY Pool Builder

Quote Originally Posted by primetime
    Ingredient(s) CAS # Percent
    Disodium salt of ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid 6381-92-6 5 - 10

This is a metal chelator. It's not harmful, but adding it mixed in the "Foundation" this way, you really dont know how much your adding based on pol size or even need. EDTA is not bad, but a metal sequesterant is a better bet. One based on phosphonic acid like Jack's Magic is what a lot of people use if they have metals.

Sodium tetraborate pentahydrate 12179-04-3 40 - 70
    Boric acid (H3BO3) 10043-35-3 30 - 60

All this is basically boric acid. You would be better off if you wanted to add borates to you pool to do it like it says in pool school and use 20 mule team borax from the grocery.

Lanthanum sulfate 10099-60-2 1 - 5

This is a phosphate remover. Generally not needed.

Anyway, does anyone see anything harmful in this product?

Only thing harmful, really, would be the price if you bought it!
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

One of the driving tenants of this site is not to add uneeded or unwanted chemicals to your pool. That looks like a lot of chemicals to be adding to your pool some or all of which you may not need. It looks like a celating agent and a phosphate remover with boric acid borax. Do you need these things?

P.S. Please edit your signature to no more than 5 lines if you don't mind. Here's a link to the rule in case you haven't read it. Rules for Signatures and Avatars. Thanks
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Just saw this product on clearance. Wow. 5# for $27, and they recommend 5#/6,000 gallons. VERY expensive way to add borates.

The current MSDS doesn't even list anything beyond boric acid and lanthanum sulfate.

http://naturalchemistry.com/en/pool-...il/foundation/
    15x30 inground concrete pool w/spa and spillover, all under screen enclosure
    Hayward C1200 StarClear Plus Cartridge Filter and Hayward Navigator V-Flex
    Jandy AquaPure 1400 and Laars LX400 propane heater w/120 gal above-ground tank
    Jandy iAquaLink and OneTouch controller w/PDA remotes
    JVAs control pool/spa switch and also allow drain opening

5. Back To Top    #5

You typically pay a premium for a mixture of chemicals, especially ones you don't need. Really water is the foundations to our pools, everything else is to maintain that foundation. LOL.
    If you want to add borates I recommend getting Boric Acid from Duda Diesel. Here's the link I started: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...d-the-easy-way

And the big borate thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ol-Why-and-How
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida