pool remodeling...pool not used for 5 years

Mar 20, 2010
Hello,
Everyone, i a new member from southern california. First time owning a house with a pool. I have a lot to learn lol

I bought a house with a pool which was not used by the previous owners. It needs plastering and the tiles are borken and the surrounding of the pool has bricks. It is a very outdated pool, built in the 70's. THe shape of the pool is weird too. It is a 9ft deep pool. as soon as you get in there you slide to the deep end. It is dangerous for ppl who really don't know how to swim. What are my options of fixing this problem. I want the depth to be max 6 ft. Does anyone know how much it will roughly cost me to get everything done.

Thanks,

Alex

techno1 said:
It needs plastering and the tiles are borken and the surrounding of the pool has bricks. It is a very outdated pool, built in the 70's. THe shape of the pool is weird too. It is a 9ft deep pool. as soon as you get in there you slide to the deep end. It is dangerous for ppl who really don't know how to swim. What are my options of fixing this problem. I want the depth to be max 6 ft. Does anyone know how much it will roughly cost me to get everything done.
Hello, Alex. Welcome to the forum.

Be aware that non-swimmers can (and do) drown in almost any depth of water, so limiting access to the pool, swim instuction and supervision are the key components to accident prevention and water safety. To modify the depth of an inground pool, no matter vinyl, gunite or fiberglass is a major undertaking and is tantamount to reconstruction, so you would be well-advised to avoid this huge expense unless there are structural defects or other compelling reasons to take this on.

Plastering and tilework are also expensive but are more easily justified. Other members may wish to comment on a typical cost. If you post back with approximate dimensions, as SplashPoolsMD indicated, you'll get better information about estimating the price. What type of pool is it and how large? Width, length, perimeter, number of gallons... whatever you know.

I'm in so cal as well.

I recently completely remodeled my pool and due to high end equipment, and equipment relocation cost- it was brutally expensive.
25K,

Carved out as a line item though a simple re-tile and re-plaster was 6K. Plaster needs to be chiseled out not just troweled on top of whats there.

If the pumps and filter and heaters havent been run in 5 years ID bet they are shot, and need a complete replacement.
Maybe not, but I wouldnt try to reuse them especially if you are going to bother to re-plaster.

If you can post a couple of shots of the pool and gear, we can be much more helpfull.

I may be able to drop by and take a look depending on your location

Dave

techno1 said:
Hello,
Everyone, i a new member from southern california. First time owning a house with a pool. I have a lot to learn lol

I bought a house with a pool which was not used by the previous owners. It needs plastering and the tiles are borken and the surrounding of the pool has bricks. It is a very outdated pool, built in the 70's. THe shape of the pool is weird too. It is a 9ft deep pool. as soon as you get in there you slide to the deep end. It is dangerous for ppl who really don't know how to swim. What are my options of fixing this problem. I want the depth to be max 6 ft. Does anyone know how much it will roughly cost me to get everything done.

Thanks,

Alex

How close to San Diego are you? If you're close, PM me if you want and I'll walk you through what to expect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.