Standard Practice on Slip-style Eyeball Return Fittings

Mar 9, 2010
I had my in-ground gunnite pool "rebuilt" back in 2005. The work included installing a new 2" return line with 3 eyeball return fittings. I was trying to find a way of temporarily restricting my return flow (to add head...see my post in Pumps) by inserting a plastic disc inside the eyeball retainer and screwing it back on. When I did this on the first outlet (closest to the pump), the pump blew the fitting completely out of the return line. It was a slip fitting and I thought it would have been cemented in to the 1-1/2 branch pipe.

Is it normal practice to simply friction fit these into the return lines or did the pool company neglect to do this?

Instead I used the disc on the outlet at the far end of the return line and it held fast there, although I did not get the same pressure increase as I did by manually blocking the first outlet.

While I'm no expert with plaster pools I'd think the housing should be glued in. The eyeball fitting should screw into that and the eyeball retaining nut should screw over that.

One of the guys that deal with plaster and the plumbing all the time will be along to straighten me out if I'm off base.

The fitting in question is from Pentair and is a PVC male slip connection. I've seen others by other makers that are threaded male. The pool company that did my rebuild simply cut the 1-1/2" PVC off flush with the plaster and shoved the fitting into the pipe. The retaining nut operates as described by 'Bama.

It is normal practice to use friction. Gluing these fittings in presents problems when plastering a new finish or winterizing. Sometimes glued units don't have a water tight seal between the fitting and the pipe. This means when I try to seal them with a winter plug, air leaks out. If air leaks out, water can get in.

Scott

Rich,

They make the eyeballs in different sizes. I have you taken the fitting to the local pool store to see if you can get one with smaller eyeballs?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.