Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Standard Practice on Slip-style Eyeball Return Fittings

1. Back To Top    #1

Standard Practice on Slip-style Eyeball Return Fittings

I had my in-ground gunnite pool "rebuilt" back in 2005. The work included installing a new 2" return line with 3 eyeball return fittings. I was trying to find a way of temporarily restricting my return flow (to add head...see my post in Pumps) by inserting a plastic disc inside the eyeball retainer and screwing it back on. When I did this on the first outlet (closest to the pump), the pump blew the fitting completely out of the return line. It was a slip fitting and I thought it would have been cemented in to the 1-1/2 branch pipe.

Is it normal practice to simply friction fit these into the return lines or did the pool company neglect to do this?

Instead I used the disc on the outlet at the far end of the return line and it held fast there, although I did not get the same pressure increase as I did by manually blocking the first outlet.
    Inground plaster 16 x 34 - 25,000 gal
    Pentain Whisperflo WFE-3
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CC520
    Kreepy Krawley cleaner
    3-Port Jandy Neverlube suction side - 2-Port Jandy Neverlube (balancing valve) on return side

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Standard Practice on Slip-style Eyeball Return Fittings

While I'm no expert with plaster pools I'd think the housing should be glued in. The eyeball fitting should screw into that and the eyeball retaining nut should screw over that.

One of the guys that deal with plaster and the plumbing all the time will be along to straighten me out if I'm off base.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The fitting in question is from Pentair and is a PVC male slip connection. I've seen others by other makers that are threaded male. The pool company that did my rebuild simply cut the 1-1/2" PVC off flush with the plaster and shoved the fitting into the pipe. The retaining nut operates as described by 'Bama.
    Pentain Whisperflo WFE-3
    Kreepy Krawley cleaner
    3-Port Jandy Neverlube suction side - 2-Port Jandy Neverlube (balancing valve) on return side

4. Back To Top    #4

It is normal practice to use friction. Gluing these fittings in presents problems when plastering a new finish or winterizing. Sometimes glued units don't have a water tight seal between the fitting and the pipe. This means when I try to seal them with a winter plug, air leaks out. If air leaks out, water can get in.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Scott

Good to know and thanks. Living in the SF Bay area, one tends to forget about winterizing.

Rich
    Pentain Whisperflo WFE-3
    Kreepy Krawley cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Rich,

They make the eyeballs in different sizes. I have you taken the fitting to the local pool store to see if you can get one with smaller eyeballs?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater