Identity of this pump?

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Can anyone identify this pump? There are no markings other than on the motor. The motor is an A.O. Smith QC1072.
Searching the interwebs it looks like it might be an Advantage MasterFlow.

I am thinking about converting to a two speed, and I would like recommendations as to whether I should get a whole new pump or swap out the motor. Do the impellers wear out? Is this setup considered low quality / low performance? It certainly looks different than the Hayward / Pentair models I have been seeing.

file.php

It is a Sta-Rite Dura-Glass II or Max-e Glass II. Great pump. If you want a 2 speed, they are available.

The metal plumbing attached to it should go though. Metals, in this case iron, is not something you want accumulating in the pool.

If you do nothing about it and get the new pump, all you do is move the electric, and union ends. Might take you an hour, me, 20 minutes.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
It is a Sta-Rite Dura-Glass II or Max-e Glass II. Great pump. If you want a 2 speed, they are available.
Thanks for the info...good to hear.

PoolGuyNJ said:
The metal plumbing attached to it should go though. Metals, in this case iron, is not something you want accumulating in the pool.
The small (~1") pipe in the background is not connected. Must have been abandoned or something. The pipe coming out of the pump is grey PVC.

I was looking at replacement motors on the A.O. Smith website and it looks like a direct 2-speed replacement would be the SQL1072R.

Another option is their "E-Plus" New Centurion High Efficiency Motors which have high efficiency high and low speed (model B2981). Does anyone have any experience with these?
Also, this is a 56Y frame (vs 48Y) which is compatable at the flange, but I think I would need a different base. How hard is it to get the correct base?

It seems like the A.O. Smith motors are pretty common. Are there other brands I should look into?

PoolGuyNJ said:

svenpup said:
The small (~1") pipe in the background is not connected. Must have been abandoned or something. The pipe coming out of the pump is grey PVC.

Wow...it's like I had blinders on! :cool: (not the right smiley, but you get the point)

I did not notice the iron pipe that EVERYTHING is connected to. It looks like all the underground pipe is iron.

Replacing that would not be an easy task...it would involve demolishing my whole backyard. Maybe a little more drastic than I had in mind to do here.

How critical is it? I imagine it is typical of all pools build in a certain time period.

I seriously doubt the runs to the skimmer and drain are metal pipe underground. It's possible but not likely. It's more likely there is a conversion to black poly pipe. If you dig down in front of the pump, you will likely expose the conversion fittings.

In order to change them, you will need to plug the lines, including the drain or plug the returns and lower the water to below where you dug and then change the pipe and valve to PVC.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.