Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need some help with solar heater.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need some help with solar heater.

I am looking at ordering the SunHeater 4' x 20' (80 sq. ft.) Solar Heater for AG Pools.
    I need to build a rack to put them on and was wondering if anyone have any suggestion on building a rack or have pictures of their rack that they put the panels on.

Also any idea on how far the panels can be from the pool where I wouldn't hurt the water flow from the pool?
    K HOLMES

23 X 45 GUNNITE
    OWNER/BUILDER

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need some help with solar heater.

Regarding racks: When I was researching solar panels I ran across this reference: http://www.ecosystemssolar.com/Panel_racks.htm They have some details for a wood and for a metal rack system. I don't think they were intended for 20' panels, but perhaps they can be suitably modified.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the link.
    I have to build it high enough where the dogs wont get to it.

Do you know if i need to put plywood all the away across for the panels to lay on? if i build it like the wood rack in the link you posted? just modified to fit a 20 foot panel
    K HOLMES

23 X 45 GUNNITE
    OWNER/BUILDER

4. Back To Top    #4

My guess is yes (and that's all it is since I'm not a solar installer). I think that enough support has to be there to prevent the solar panel from sagging. If the panel sagged that might have some negative impact to smooth flow and heat through the panel.

BTW, your original post mentioned flow. All solar panels produce some additional head, or said another way, they do slow the water flow down some. How much will depend on the distance and the pipe size. In your case (I think with one panel) you might also have to consider a diverter. Why? Let's say your pump normally flows 20 GPM. A single solar panel probably is most effective with about 5 GPM. To get optimum use you wou have to divert 15 GPM around the panel and rejoin the flows. I may be over thinking your set up, but since all the details aren't out there, I'm just throwing some ideas for you to think about.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);

5. Back To Top    #5

There's a picture of my rack-mount here (scroll down):

done-agp-deck-solar-t17243.html

I'm using different solar panels, but I don't think that you have to mount the panels on a solid surface. As you can see, I 'skip-sheathed' using left-over 5/4 inch decking boards.

Kelly
    15X30 AGP, Lomart beaded liner;
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump with 21 inch sand filter (Zeobrite media)
    Mineral Springs (Aquatrol) SWCG, Rigid PVC plumbing, 2 inch
    Four 4X12 Techno-Solis solar panels, rack mounted, Goldline Solar Controller

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for everyone's input...Hubby and I are also looking into solar heat options. This was helpful.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kjcole
    I'm using different solar panels, but I don't think that you have to mount the panels on a solid surface. ...
    Looking over your excellent installation I think you have the right idea - My concern, not well stated, really only applied if the panel lacked in mid-panel support, something yours does not. Thanks for posting since I'm also thinking through some sort of DIY rack on a roof at my house.

8. Back To Top    #8

Our current rack system is built UP off the ground with the bottom level with the top of the pool wall due to being in a limited area which allows for sun exposure so we ran it parallel to the long side of the oval pool with the panels laying at about 50 degree angle on the system. It's built with a PVC and chicken wire frame to lay on - it's strapped down - rarely moves enough to require adjustments even in 70 mph wind storms and is easy to drain and remove the panels for winter. It works really well, fits into the tight area we have with sun and allowed us to hard plumb/pvc into the entire system. Looks a bit like a pergola
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

9. Back To Top    #9

NWMNMom do you have any photos of your set up?

with the panels on and off?

I need to have mine off the ground so the dogs can not get to it and it will be 15-20 ft away from the pool.
    I plan on hard plumbing it from the pool and back.
    K HOLMES

23 X 45 GUNNITE
    OWNER/BUILDER

10. Back To Top    #10

They are currently OFF so I'll go out and get some pix. Panels on pix are here on the site on the second post of this thread for-those-with-solar-racks-lets-see-them-t15310.html
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks
    K HOLMES

23 X 45 GUNNITE
    OWNER/BUILDER