Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My bearings are starting to whine!

1. Back To Top    #1

My bearings are starting to whine!

I have a Doughboy Power Pak ll 1.5hp - 115v ac - 60hz - 3500rpm model# 0-1087-200.
    and a Doughboy sand filter i think it holds 225lbs of sand model# 1702-019

This winter i got drunk while watching the BCS game and forgot to run the pump that night. When i got home i noticed a thin sheet of ice. So the next day at about noon everything had melted and i figured i would run it for a lil while. Well i guess there was still some ice somewhere in one of the lines. The pump started to whine a lil so i immediately shut it off. It still whines but it is running fine.

The pump has got to be at least 5+ years old. I've owned the house for 3 years and i'm pretty shure they had the pool for quite a while judging by the wear on the skirting and the liner.

I tried to figure out a spreadsheet someone posted on here but didnt put alot of effort to it. I have 10,000 gallon above ground and was wanting a pump that is quieter and more energy efficient. Obviously i need something that would work with my filter. Unless someone thinks it would be better to go ahed and replace that too and if so why.

This is the one i was thinking of getting (Model E71-1 click)
    11,000g, AG, aqua rite salt, Dough Boy 1.5hp, well water with some metal in it, and 2 beautifull oak trees that dump a ton of leaves into the pool.

I use TF Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My bearings are starting to whine!

SPECK makes a very dumbed down 1 HP 3 speed pump. The speeds are preset and fixed but it is quiet and very energy efficient. Its called the BADU EcoM3. You choose the desired speed by pressing 1 of 3 touch pad buttons.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah i talked to the pool store today and the suggested a spec. 1hp for $275.00 (Model E71-1 click) does anyone have have experience with one of these?

Sorry pool guy but that pump is costs more than my pool is worth!
    11,000g, AG, aqua rite salt, Dough Boy 1.5hp, well water with some metal in it, and 2 beautifull oak trees that dump a ton of leaves into the pool.

I use TF Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

http://store.poolcenter.com/shared/Stor ... 2Cart=True

A few bucks less. Same store.

Disclaimer: I don't know the store or have any financial dealings with either poolcenter.com or Speck.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

that one is actually a lil more expensive but looks to be a better pump also.

I use TF Test Kit