Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The mallards are back...

1. Back To Top    #1

The mallards are back...

5th year running - They show up at the first sign of warm weather and hang for a couple months (and make a bloody mess - mallard poop!), and then disappear until the following spring.

This year, the Male's got his female (she was new a few years ago), and she's brought a friend.

Any tips other than me or the dog running after them is appreciated.

Duck-a l'orange?

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The mallards are back...

Have you tried stringing heavy fishing line 8 or 10 ft above the pool? Zig-zag it 4 or 5 times over the pool between the gutters and trees or a fence on the other side. They feel like they are trapped and avoid the area.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Eliminate the male and the females will go away on their own...don't ask how I know this to be true. It's not a politically correct answer, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

BTW, I understand your predicament, at my place it is definitely duck season poolside...
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

Oddly enough, I accidentally posted this in "outdoor cooking" accidentally (or, would that be subconsciously?)...
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondodo
    Oddly enough, I accidentally posted this in "outdoor cooking" accidentally (or, would that be subconsciously?)...
    You're not fooling me! I noticed that right away!
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondodo
    You're not fooling me! I noticed that right away!
    What's the matter with you guys? It's not in outdoor cooking
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

These guys (or gals), check in every couple months! Then our dogs chase them off!
    Attached Images Attached Images