Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace sand or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace sand or not?

the sand that is in my filter now has been in there for 3 years and it it has had 3 algae cleanups through it. i was thinking that i would need to change out the sand this year so i bought some sand over the winter.

i just got the water sparkling and was about to change out the sand but i've been thinking that since the filter cleared up what looked like a pond in about three days that maybe it is just fine. i only bakckwashed one time and dont think it was anywhere near 8psi. it's a doughboy filter.
    11,000g, AG, aqua rite salt, Dough Boy 1.5hp, well water with some metal in it, and 2 beautifull oak trees that dump a ton of leaves into the pool.

I use TF Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace sand or not?

There are two schools of thought on replacing sand filter sand. Some people replace their sand every five to seven years, and others never replace their sand. Sand doesn't filter as well when it gets old, but it still filters acceptably for many people. In either case you should clean out and resettle the sand every two or three years.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

lol i almost asked how to do that then i realized that you made it a link. Thanks jason much appreciated.
    11,000g, AG, aqua rite salt, Dough Boy 1.5hp, well water with some metal in it, and 2 beautifull oak trees that dump a ton of leaves into the pool.

I use TF Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

ok so i started to clean the sand and this is what i pulled out. Any thoughts?

click on the thumbnail to see bigger pic

I use TF Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Change it. You won't be able to get that green out. The green is dead algae particles that will provide nutrients for another bloom.

It's a great example of why vacuuming to waste is a good idea when cleaning up an algae bloom.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

roger that thanks pool guy.

I use TF Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

ok i got all the nasty sand out of the filter sprayed it out and wiped it down. i was just wondering if there was anything special i need to do when adding the new sand eg..add some water then add the sand? do i need to do anything in the first week after i put the sand in?

I use TF Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Adding water might help lessen the impact of the sand falling on the laterals. That's what I did when I replaced my sand. I don't know if it helped at all, but it sure didn't hurt.

Also, be sure you don't get sand in the pipe. Your filter should have come with a funny-looking thing that is solid in the center, and has slots along the sides to hold the pipe in position and keep the sand flowing down and around the pipe. I had one but didn't know what it was at the time (I finally figured it out later, after I didn't need it.) Instead, I just put one of my rubber line-plugs into the pipe and held the pipe by hand until there was enough sand to hold it upright.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

9. Back To Top    #9

awesome thank you. mine is a lil different. there is a piece of pvc in the center that is connected to the fins and the fins are bolted to the bottom of the filter so it is pretty sturdy. Yhanks for letting me know not to get sand in the pipe.

I use TF Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, add water before adding sand. The water protects the laterals and helps the sand settle in properly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

If you do change your sand I've used Mystic White brand for years ( One of the reasons I like mystic white is because of the white color you won't confuse sand shooting back to your pool with dead algae or mustard algae)

Recently I've switched from mystic white to zeo best which they say filters down to a smaller micron.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

12. Back To Top    #12

thanks i had already bought sand. and that was my thoughts that the sand would distribute properly.

I use TF Test Kit