Solar Covers (Bay Area) - Cut into sections or buy a reel?

Mar 19, 2010
San Jose, CA
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a house in Northern CA with a fairly standard rectangle pool (15' x 33'), so am trying to quickly get up to speed with all that is required. I really like the idea of a solar cover, but am quickly becoming confused.

I had settled on a 16mil clear cover and was considering getting a reel from the same place for an additional $160. I had read reviews recommending the Rocky reel, but at $300+, it was a bit more than what I was anticipating. I dont like the idea of getting a reel in any case - I think they are unsightly, but I haddnt really given much thought to getting a cover on and off until I started researching. So, my questions are:

1. If buying a solar cover, would you say getting a reel is recommended?
2. Does anyone use a 16mil cover with a reel without issue (I have read that 16mil is too thick to use with a reel)?
3. Does cutting the cover into smaller sections reduce the effectiveness? I am wondering if this is a better alternative to getting a reel.

Any advice or input would be well received - especially from anyone in the Bay Area (ie. what mil are you using, how effective is it etc)...

Thanks in advance!

Cutting the cover into sections works very well for some people, others prefer to use a reel. There is no significant loss of effectiveness when cut into sections, unless the sections start blowing off (which is rare but can be an issue in especially windy areas). Here is a good page explaining how one person cut their cover up into pieces.

The reel needs to be large enough to fit the cover rolled up. Large thick covers tend to be too large when rolled up for some of the less expensive reels. You can sometimes get around that problem by mounting the reel up on blocks so there is more room for the cover. Also, the bearings might bind up on some particularly inexpensive reels under the weight of a thicker cover.

We have a number of people here with their cover cut into sections. Most of them are very happy with the results. The only two problems that came up were one person who had trouble with any kind of cover blowing off and was able to weight a single piece cover so it would stay in place but not a several piece cover, and another person who had problems with the sections moving so they overlapped, leaving large areas uncovered. Compared to somewhere around a dozen others who use several sections without any problems. As I said, it is not for everyone/every situation, but it can work extremely well.

I use this to roll my blanket. I currently have my 3 year old blanket cut into two pieces; and a new blanket that I will cut into three. I've never had a problem with the 2 cut pieces moving around and overlapping each other; but I certainly had problems with the uncut blanket... what a pain in the neck!

Generally, I read that the 16mil cover is too heavy for no additional longevity, but frankly I have only used 12 mil, so I can't speak from experience.

FWIW, covers don't last forever, and if you see significantly better results without cutting it, then you have your answer. I've never had a solar cover but plan to get one this year. Because of the irregular shape of my pool, I think a reel may be more work than necessary and may actually harm the cover, so I plan to cut it into two or three pieces after cutting it to shape.

All valid points - thanks all for weighing in. I may regret it, but I have decided to buy a cover sans reel. Given this, I opted to go with the 16mil. Given my pool is probably considered small (15x33), I would hope 2 sections would be manageable?! Time will tell I guess….

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Because covers don't last forever, you can change your mind when this one bites the dust, if it turns out you don't like it. I know I'm going to make a different choice next time. Of course you do have to live with the consequences of your decision until then!
--paulr

Exactly my point - you make a mistake buying a cover you hate, you only have to deal with it for x number of seasons, but you can still use it in the meantime. Buy a reel you can't use and you've wasted your money.

That solar roller looks like the way to go for me, because of the shape of my pool. I had planned to do it by hand, but that may make it easier on my back and allow me to quickly remove it for testing and swimming.

Edit - the solar roller is too small for my pool. Sadly.

We cut our cover into 5 sections. It lies flat on the water surface and has never blown off even during some high winds. Surface adhesion sort of glues it down. I can put it on and remove it by myself within 3 or so minutes, it's just not a big deal. I'm not entirely convinced that the solar cover does anything noticeable for retaining heat but I do know that during the worst of the pollen season it keeps yellow c**p out of the pool and for just that function it's a great addition to my pool equipment.

If I had an inground I'd have a good quality reel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.