Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closet mystery

1. Back To Top    #1

Closet mystery

Hi again!

I am starting to get ready for opening my pool soon. I found these things in the closet. Can you help me identify them and tell me what they are used for in the pool?

As always, I appreciate the help.

This may not even be for the pool. It has a funny cut-out at the end.
    [attachment=0:wouug2nx]IMG00107a.jpg[/attachment:wouug2nx]

Sorry about the pic. These are philips head screws. They appear to be stainless.
    [attachment=1:wouug2nx]IMG00106.jpg[/attachment:wouug2nx]

I am assuming the 3 items are return jets. The handle and rod are hexagonal.
    [attachment=2:wouug2nx]IMG00098a.jpg[/attachment:wouug2nx]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In-ground 21,000 gallon w/ vinyl liner
    Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator
    Hayward Sand Filter S244T 20GPM
    Hayward Super Pump 1 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closet mystery

Pic #1. Breaker bar/lever you use to put your winter cover on. Feed the spring/loop on the end, end of bar goes over the deck lug, and BAM goes your foot on the spring.

Pic #2. Sheet metal screws. I have some that look just like that to hold panels of the heater in place.

Pic# 3. On the money w/return eyeballs. Orange handled key is what you drive/loosen your winter cover lugs in/out of the deck.

Did I win?
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Did I win?
    Not quite. You forgot to identify the short white one....looks like a pen to me.

(apologies to gkruske for a sorry attempt at humor)
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Dang....I knew I missed something
    Kansas City, MO
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed

5. Back To Top    #5

Gkruske,

I think you are correct on everything except the stainless screws. I don't have a heater. The previous owner placed them in a zip top bag along with the return jets so they must be important. Do you or anyone else care to make more guesses for the purpose of the screws?
    Hayward Super Pump 1 HP

6. Back To Top    #6

maybe the screws are for the top of the skimmer (the lid)
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by hayfarmer
    maybe the screws are for the top of the skimmer (the lid)
    Now that makes sense! I've never been in a pool where the skimmer lid is actually screwed down.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry about the pic. These are philips head screws. They appear to be stainless.
    You can use a magnet to find out if they're stainless or not.
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

9. Back To Top    #9

Are there only two screws or are there more in the bag?
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

I suspect the screws are for a drain cover. Skimmer cover screws tend to be flat heads. What inquiring minds want to know is what the white is on one of them? Is it plaster, plastic, or Teflon tape?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

11. Back To Top    #11

I guess you could narrow it down this way....very course thread, quite short. Meant to be removed in just a few turns of the screwdriver for fast/easy access.

PoolGuyNJ does make a good point....could be residual plastic on those threads.

OR....have you checked the light niche?
    Kansas City, MO
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    I suspect the screws are for a drain cover. Skimmer cover screws tend to be flat heads. What inquiring minds want to know is what the white is on one of them? Is it plaster, plastic, or Teflon tape?

Scott
    If I am remembering right, from when I had the pool empty in late 2008, (and did not replace the drain cover with a to code because I didn't know about that) the head of screw looks like my old style drain cover screws but I'm not sure about the threading and pointed end. The screws in picture look like "self tapping" screws, i.e., thread forming not thread cutting. Is that what is used for some drain covers? My old type cover does use two screws and they were stainless.

http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_U...ign/DCI283.pdf

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

13. Back To Top    #13

Does the pool have an auto-fill? Those screws look like the little short ones that hold the lid down on the toilet bowl float type auto-fills.

14. Back To Top    #14

The screws are non-magnetic. I just have 2 of them. The white stuff on them reminds me of pipe dope compound. I don't have auto fill on the pool.

I have 2 holes in my skimmer lid that are counter sunk but these screws are too big.

If this is for a main drain cover, do they go in the bottom of the pool? I don't have a drain cover in my closet. Why would you want to take the drain cover off anyways?

LOL I haven't even seen the bottom this pool yet. I bought this house in December.

I can't see my light niche either. I think I do have a light because I see a jbox sticking out of the ground. I don't have a light cover in my closet either.

Looking for more ideas !!!!!
    Hayward Super Pump 1 HP

15. Back To Top    #15

I'd take a close look at the in pool return covers, where the screws pictured clamp the vinyl liner to the wall fitting. One of the covers probably is missing two(2) screws.
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

16. Back To Top    #16

Great thread, lots of detail on the pictures! lol

17. Back To Top    #17

Barfus,

The only way to figure out what the screws are is to ask Murphy. The only way to ask Murphy is to throw them away. Then the answer will appear.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.