Finally saying hello

TimS

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Central Missouri
I've been here for several months, and many of you have seen the rather odd questions I sometimes ask. I thought it was high time I introduced myself, and told the saga of how I came to TFP. Unfortunately, after I wrote it up, I discovered that it runs to over 3500 words. (Yeah, all that for 18 months with a pool, and it hardly mentions swimming. :shock: )

Suffice it to say that although I've only had a pool since October 2008, but I've had enough bad experiences to last me several years. Many of these were self-inflicted, but I've also been seriously "pool-stored." You would believe all of the individual things that have happened to me, since they are the things that have happened to many, many others. You would not believe that all of those things could happen to one person in one season. (Or at least I couldn't.)

I'm looking forward to a much better season this year with the help of the great advice on TFP. :-D

Tim.

Hello back at ya Tim!

I think I had a fair number of posts on here before I made it to the introductions thread myself. Glad you're here.

Hey newbie! :mrgreen:

Hope you have a Trouble Free Pool this year after reading TFP for several months! :goodjob:

Hi Tim :wave:
Everytime I see your avatar do I wonder if it's Frank Zappa or not and I'm still not sure if it is :?:
Anyway! Let's hope things will run smoothly for you this season now when you found the TFP.

Have a good one :cheers:

1. Someday, one presumes, we'll get the whole 3500 word enchilada? Glad to have a curious mind on board.

2. When you swap your avatar for Zappa, can I have Groucho?

I've got a buyer for Ursa Major. And what's more... I need the money. (Not yours, theirs.) But let's not get all hung up about high finance at a time like this. After all, spring is in the air. Love is all around. I've got a little money... but not you, honey! Just give me your avatar and we'll done with it. :mrgreen:

polyvue said:
1. Someday, one presumes, we'll get the whole 3500 word enchilada?
Oh, I certainly don't mind posting it. It was great fun to write, and I think the whole thing is rather humorous (or humourous for our non-American friends :-D ) now that it's over. The primary reason I didn't post it is that I've seen Jason's admonishments against posting large blocks of text. :mrgreen:

polyvue said:
2. When you swap your avatar for Zappa, can I have Groucho?
When I retire Groucho, you'll get first dibs. :cheers:

Well, my adoring public is clamoring for my story. Therefore, I'll chance incurring Jason's wrath and go ahead and post it. (OK, so my adoring public is really just polyvue, and the clamoring was really just a question, but hey, I can have delusions of popularity can't I?) Besides, Jason may find this amusing, and not invoke his dreaded green voice. I've also broken it up into chapters. When I first started to post it, and hit "Preview" it was enormous!!! :shock: (That doesn't make it any shorter, but would make it easier to read in installments, if you are so inclined.:D)

For the more experienced among you, break out the wry grins - you'll be shaking your heads after this. Believe it or not, this really is a true story with no embellishment. If anything, I've downplayed it. Well, there are a couple of exaggerations in here, but they're pretty easy to spot.:) All of this occurred over one 18-month period, with one swim season.

For any newbies the may someday read this, I hope you can learn something from my mistakes.

I hope you have as much fun reading it as I had writing it. (It wasn’t much fun living it, but it was a blast to write.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My story (so far:)
Chapter 1
Introduction to Pools and Their Problems

Hello, my name is Tim... (All: Hello, Tim.)
I've been a pool owner for 18 months. It's been six months since my last chemical purchase from the pool store.

This was my first experience with a pool, and oh, was I naïve. I didn't really know much about pools. I'd seen people vacuuming and brushing pools before, and I knew it needed chlorine. What could be so difficult about that? I will admit right up front that a lot of the problems I had were self-inflicted because I didn’t really understand what I was doing. I was also listening to the wrong advice.

We bought a house with a pool in the fall, so it was really too late to swim that year. The original owner was helpful in explaining the operation of the pump and the filter, and the fact that it had a tablet feeder. Beyond that, I was pretty much on my own. He had not closed the pool before we moved in, (because I had asked him not to,) so I got to play with it for a few days. We had the heater running, but since there was no solar cover, the heat loss was at least as great as the heat gain. Since the air temps were not very high, we didn't use it. I got in once, just to say I'd done it, but it was pretty cold. The only things I really did with it were to test the water, and vacuum it.

The previous owner had offered to come by and help me close it when I was ready. When I finally decided to close it, I let him know, and scheduled a time to get it done. I got the heater and pump shut down, and started draining the pool by siphoning it off with a garden hose. (That took a while!!) While that was happening, I tried to get the wedding cake steps out by myself, and without diving under the water to get the last sandbag out. BIG MISTAKE! (We'll come back to this later.) Finally got DW out to help me, and between the two of us we got them out.

I got the water level down to where I wanted it the afternoon that the previous owner was scheduled to stop by. As it turned out, something came up for him and I had to start the process myself. I got the drains open and the pipes emptied, and got the cover on by the time he showed up. It's a good thing he finally did, because I had missed one of the drain plugs on the pump. He also told me how to use the pump to drain the pool. That’s one of those things that should have been obvious, but I didn’t think of it.

About mid-January, I noticed that the cover seemed to be sagging a lot more than I thought it should. There was a lot of ice on it, so I couldn't do much about it, but I thought it was odd that the ice was displacing all that water instead of floating. Since it was a block of ice, and the cover was very taut, I couldn't do anything about it, or even really check on the pool. (This was before I figured out that I could see into the pool by looking through the skimmer.) Around mid-March, things finally started to thaw enough that I could start draining the water off the cover, but before I got that complete, we had a really heavy rain. That was all she wrote! The cover came loose and fell into the pool. Of course when that happened, all the junk that had collected on the cover over the winter went into the pool with it. The water level was about 18 inches below where I'd left it in the fall - there was only about 18 inches of water left. Where the #$%@ did all my water go? :rant: Nothing for it now, but to completely remove the cover.

Surprise #2: Once I took the cover off, I discovered that a good section of the liner had come loose from its track, and had started to fall in. Fortunately, I had bought some plastic alligator clips for another purpose when we moved, and so I was able to use those to hold the edges of the liner above the waterline. I called the pool store and their response was that there was nothing they could do until the daytime temperatures got to 70, since the liner would be too stiff to work with while it was cold. They came out and took a look anyway to see what shape everything was in. They discovered that the bead track was shot and that that, combined with stress on the walls from the cover was what had caused the liner to come loose. They also had never seen anyone tie up the liner the way I did. When they first saw the ropes running all over the place, they thought I had punched holes in the liner to tie it up. :shock:

Finally at the end of March, we got a couple of days in a row where the high was over 70. I called the pool store to send me some help. I wanted to be there when they put things back together, so I could learn how they did it. Unfortunately, I had to go to work, and I got back about the time they were finishing up. They also had found the leak and patched it in the process. If you've read this from the beginning, you know where the leak came from. Yes, I managed to tear a 1/4" hole in the liner trying to get the steps out by myself. :hammer:

I must say that I really like these two pool guys. They're honest, friendly, and give me all kinds of advice on how to save money, mostly by teaching me to do things myself instead of paying them to do those things. (Don't tell the pool store!)

Once the liner was back in place, I had to fill the pool back up, so decided I might as well completely open it. I got all the drain plugs back in, got the pool filled, got the system running, and discovered a leak in one of the pipe joints. That joint had not been leaking the previous fall, so the only thing I can think of is that since I didn't actually blow the lines out, there was enough water left pooled in the joint to push it apart when it froze. I fixed that leak, and got things completely running again. I turned the heater on, hoping to get the water warm enough to swim in. Since I didn't have a solar cover, I was realizing about a 1 degree gain per day. (I'd probably have gotten almost that even without the heater.) My electric rates are pretty cheap, so the cost to run the heater wasn't a killer. The pool store convinced me to try something called a “Solar Pill - a liquid solar blanket that works almost as well as a real solar cover.” I didn’t really notice it helping much, but then again, I had nothing to compare it to either. It finally got warm enough to start swimming around mid-April, not that I could get the kids in there before May anyway.

Chapter 2
Leaks are Elusive

Everything went well through the rest of April and through mid-May. That's when I noticed that I was losing about 3/8" water per day. That's about 100 gallons per day in my pool. I called the pool guys back to help me find the leak. They had no luck, but we talked about how to find it for a long time. Water rates in my area are also quite low, so I didn't really notice the hit on my water bill. (Especially since I have 2 teenagers and one wife who each take 2-hour showers at least once per day :) )

I kept searching for the leak off and on but wasn't getting anywhere. I finally dug out my SCUBA gear and stocked up on red food coloring. I pulled out one of the old oral syringes we had used for medicine when the kids were little, and started diving in the pool (the only time I got to SCUBA dive that year. :cry: ) I kept this up for several days, but never did manage to find the leak.

I was vacuuming at least every three days, sometimes not because it needed it, but just because I wanted to. (DW wanted me to teach her and the teenagers to do it to "save you some work." No way! I was having fun playing with my new toy.) I was also backwashing at least every two weeks, since the pool store told me my filter needed it that often.

Through all this, I was religiously following all the advice the pool store was giving me. Each week, I'd take my water sample in, and buy what they told me I needed. I finally realized that each week they'd sell me something to undo or counteract whatever they'd had me do the previous week. I decided that enough was enough, and I'd just keep track of my chlorine. There's really nothing else you need to do with a pool anyway, right? I had a simple pH and chlorine test kit, along with 6-way strips. I was doing fine watching my water myself. About the first of July, I also gave up on those “Solar Pill” things. It was warm enough that I didn’t need them any more, anyway.

Chapter 3
Silt Happens

About the end of August, I started getting a lot of dirt in the bottom of the pool. I'd vacuum it up, and the next day, it would be right back again. I finally decided that my filter must not be working well. I knew that the sand had never been replaced, and had been told that it needed to be replaced about every 5 years. Since the pool was 5 years old, I decided to go ahead and replace the sand. When I opened up the filter, there was this really nasty gunk on top of the sand, so obviously I was doing the right thing by replacing it. (Yeah, right!)

I got the new sand in the filter, and the dirt issue went away for a few days. Then, suddenly, it was back with a vengeance. This was a light brown, silt-like substance all over the bottom of the pool. After several days of vacuuming it up, and having it come right back, I took another water sample back to the pool store. I specifically asked about algae and they said, no, no algae detected. OK, so it must really be dirt. There was some construction going on a few hundred yards down the street, so maybe it was just blowing that much dirt into my pool. The only other thing I could think of was that maybe the leak I'd never been able to find was situated just right to allow dirt to be sucked into the pool from underneath – some sort of venturi effect or something. This didn't seem too likely, since I had such a swamp on low side of the yard - water was obviously flowing out, not in - but hey, maybe.

I also noticed that I had to keep turning up the dial on my in-line tablet feeder. I was having a terrible time keeping my chlorine in the acceptable range, according to the strips. I was refilling the feeder about once a week, instead of every three weeks as I'd done at the beginning of the summer. I couldn't figure out why my chlorine use, which had been rock steady for weeks, was suddenly through the roof.

Finally, about mid-September, I couldn't keep up with the dirt anymore - I was vacuuming every single day, and it was no longer a pleasure. I even got to the point of running the Kreepy Krawly 24/7, and the water was so cloudy the kids wouldn't get in any more. It finally got so bad I couldn’t see the bottom of my 4’ pool. I decided that I was fighting a losing battle, and since I'd never found the leak and didn't know how deep it might be, that the risk of having the entire pool drain out over the winter was just too great, and I had to replace the liner. That way, I could start with fresh water, and all my problems would go away. I ordered a new liner from the pool store, and had it the next day.

Time to drain the pool. Since my chlorine was zero, I didn't worry about where to dump the water, but didn't want to flood the neighbor. I went to the store and bought three backwash hoses. I hooked them together, and stuck my spare pump at the top of the driveway. (For whatever reason, I have a spare pump. The previous owner didn't tell me why there's a spare, but it seems to work fine. I also have a spare MPV. Again, I don't know why.) I put the spare pump in the line after the first backwash hose was swollen up to twice its normal size then burst. The second pump pulling water up the hill from the first one helped quite a bit. Between the two pumps, I managed to get the water running out of the pool and up to the street. Every once in a while, I'd get a split in one of the hoses, and have to shut everything down and patch it back up. It took about 5 hours and I had to repair numerous splits, but it was a lot cheaper than buying better hose or pipe to make it up there. (About a 10' rise and 100' run.)

When I finally got to the last 300 gallons or so, I couldn't maintain the suction to the pump anymore, so had to resort to siphoning with the garden hose. I managed to use that to get all but the last 100 gallons out. Then I pulled out the shopvac. By then, I could see that dirt really well. You all know exactly what I found. Yup! That brown silt turned out to be green and slimy after all. Algae, all the way! So much for "No algae detected." :twisted:

I then started pulling the sandbags out of the steps. Oh, my!!! Half the algae on the planet was living in my sandbags!!! :shock: OK, maybe not quite, but they sure were green.

Chapter 4
Hanging a New Liner

While I had the old liner out, I discovered that the cove strips were not in the best of shape either. I wound up replacing about 10 of them, and re-taping all the seams in the padding.

The pool guys had told me that hanging the new liner was really easy. I could do it myself, and only call them out to cut the holes for the skimmer and the return. “If you cut the holes and mess it up, you have to buy a new liner. If we cut the holes and mess it up, we have to buy you a new liner.”

Hanging the new liner went much simpler than I expected. Once I got started snapping it into a section of the track it was really easy. I used one of DW’s dish scrapers - a thin, stiff, plastic thing - to help get the liner into the track, and it worked great. Once I had the liner in, I tried to smooth out the bottom. It was so light that it simply slid back and forth, and I couldn’t get the wrinkles out. I decided that I’d add some water to add some weight, and then maybe I could get it done. Nope, still sliding around. The pool guys had told me some time before that they used toilet plungers to move the liner – just pull a little up and a lot sideways. I bought a brand new plunger, since I didn’t want to put my old, dirty one into the pool, :mrgreen: added more water, and started in. No, I still couldn’t get the wrinkles out. As soon as I get rid of one, another would appear. I got about a foot of water into the pool, and I had arranged to have the pool guys come cut the liner that day, so I just waited.

I had noticed that the liner didn’t really seem to fit the pool. The seam between the wall and the floor was about 10” – 12” up the wall. Did I order the wrong liner? Even with a foot of water, it wasn’t fitting very well. When the pool guy showed up, I asked him about it, and he said, no that’s entirely normal. “Don’t worry, it’ll stretch that far.” He also told me not to worry so much about the wrinkles; “It'll be fine,” he said. He also said that there wasn’t nearly enough water in there to be able to cut the holes. “The liner is still going to stretch a long way. You need to get it up to about 3-4 inches below the return before we cut it, or it’ll just tear when you fill it the rest of the way.”

So, I started adding more water. I was still stressing about the wrinkles, but I couldn’t get rid of them no matter what. I let the water run over night, and sure enough, by morning, the wrinkles were gone and the seam was where it belonged – right in the middle of the cove. I filled it to the correct spot and had them come back to make the cut.

I finished filling the pool, and got the pump running again. DW wondered why I was filling it full, since I was going to turn right around and drain it again for winter. I told her that I needed to get it full because I needed the pump running so I could shock the pool for winter.

My Story (so far:)
Chapter 5
Discovering TFP

My local Wally World was having a sale on all of their pool supplies, so I picked up a case of "winter shock," several bottles of stabilizer (didn't know what it was, but the pool store had told me I needed it, and the test strips checked for it, so I must need it,) some "Alkalinity Up," some "ph Down," and this really fancy HtH test kit that used bottles of stuff instead of strips.

I poured the stabilizer into the pool, waited about an hour, and tested the water. Nope, not enough stabilizer. I went to the pool store and asked them about it, and they told me "you're still low and here’s this nice big container of the stuff." They did tell me to put it in a sock in the skimmer. I went home and followed directions like a good boy, and waited about two hours until the sock was empty. Tested again, and still not enough. Add more. Test again. Still not enough. I finally decided that maybe the problem was that it was getting caught in the filter. That time I simply spread it around the pool. Then I had this white powder all over the pool, and it was not dissolving. Now what? :rant:

It was about this time that a friend who also has a pool told me about TFP and BBB. I got on and started reading. “CYA is the same as stabilizer? OK. It takes a while to dissolve? OK. How much did I add? Maybe this Pool Calculator thingy will help me. Oh, no! I’ve gotta get that stuff outta there!” According to the Pool Calculator, I was going to wind up with a CYA over 200. :hammer:

I backwashed the filter to get a lot of it out, and then vacuumed to waste to get the stuff off of the floor. When I was done, I had a CYA of 70.

I read the section of Pool School on balancing the water, and figured out how to get my TA down. It took several days of acid / aeration, but I got it done.

I also kept seeing the recommendations to get a good test kit. After asking a number of questions about the differences between what I had and the recommended kits, I ordered a TF100. It arrived in two days... and on a Saturday to boot!!! :shock: Thanks, Dave!!! :cheers:

I read the section of Pool School on winterizing an AG pool. At least I had been doing something right. I managed to get the thing closed down for the winter. The only additional thing I needed to do that I hadn't already done was blow the lines out. That was easy enough. I also had a couple of sections of garden hose that I threw on the cover so I could siphon the water off any time it thawed throughout the winter.

I spent the winter reading and re-reading Pool School, and I read somewhere around 1/3 of the posts on the board. I asked some really basic questions and some really bizarre ones also.

Here we are in March. I’ve filled the pool back up and gotten my chlorine level up to prevent an algae outbreak before I'm ready to open. I have the pump running a couple of hours a day, just to keep the water stirred up. I probably won’t remove the cover until at least mid-April. I have a solar cover for this year, so my heating cost should be lower. I think I have a handle on this BBB stuff, and my CYA is now at ~50. I now have a better idea what I’m testing and why, what my levels should be, and how to adjust them.

I've copied someone else's idea and built weights for the steps out of PVC pipe filled with sand and bleach, so hopefully I won't have that algae haven this year. (If I have a problem again, I may try filling them with concrete instead.)

I’m planning to start the season simply – no salt or borates. I want to learn to actually manage my pool the right way, not the pool store way. Maybe then I’ll think about salt or borates, but slowly, slowly.

Last season I made plenty of mistakes by not fully understanding what I was doing and by following the wrong advice. This season, with the help of all of my friends on TFP – you are my friends, right, even if I do ask some really strange questions? – I expect things to go a lot more smoothly and I can spend more time relaxing by the pool, and less time fighting the chemicals and “dirt.” I should also have more money available for my favorite pool-side beverages since I won’t be spending it all at the pool store. (I estimate that I spent at least $100 per month at the pool store last year, just on chemicals and stuff, not including a new liner and service calls.)

I’ll let you know how the story turns out after a season of BBB. But you already know how it’s going to turn out, don’t you. You've seen it all before, haven't you. If I follow the great advice here, I’ll have a trouble free pool, and I'll never look back.

Thanks for listening,
Tim.

Enjoyed the read!

TimS said:
I’ll let you know how the story turns out after a season of BBB. But you already know how it’s going to turn out, don’t you. You've seen it all before, haven't you. If I follow the great advice here, I’ll have a trouble free pool, and I'll never look back.
Yep! :goodjob: LOL :lol: :lol: