Intelli Flashing Cell Light

Jul 14, 2009
Was clean 2 weeks ago [the cell light was flashing] the guy said it wasn't that bad. Clean the cell, DE filter.... Yesterday, the light is started to flash again.
The pool is at 70 the water was tested yesterday everything was good[don't have the results in front of me].
What could it be? This is my 2nd. cell, replaced [red salt light stayed on] it in October.
Thanks, any help will is always be appreciated !

Leyland said:
Was clean 2 weeks ago [the cell light was flashing] the guy said it wasn't that bad. Clean the cell, DE filter.... Yesterday, the light is started to flash again.
The pool is at 70 the water was tested yesterday everything was good[don't have the results in front of me].
What could it be?
This is my 2nd. cell, replaced [red salt light stayed on] it in October.
Which model Intellichlor is installed? If you have the manual, read the troubleshooting section.
Which light or lights are flashing? (Yellow, red, etc.)
Is the flashing intermittent, coming on and then going off after a while, or consistent?
What was the salt reading before the current flashing?

It could be telling you to add more salt. If the salt level is marginal and you've just backwashed, that would be a reason. Also likely since you just cleaned the DE filter. There are countless threads on this forum that discuss and usually resolve questions that arise due to flashing lights on this SWG. You may want to read some of them. Check out this recent thread, for example:

Intellichlor IC40. flashing both green and red light

Call Pentair again. You probably have another bad cell. Curious, is the cell Ver 2.0?

Poly,
A cell light, flashing or solid does not mean you have low salt. Thats what the salt light is for. The LAST thing he needs to do is put more salt in! Please don't point posters in that direction.

Pool Clown said:
Poly,
A cell light, flashing or solid does not mean you have low salt. Thats what the salt light is for. The LAST thing he needs to do is put more salt in! Please don't point posters in that direction.
OP didn't say what color the flashing light was... and I had forgotten that Pentair is explicit with what it calls a "cell" light. I should have double-checked the manual, as I just did. If the cell light is flashing green along with the "check salt" LED, that's the right time to add salt and/or clean the cell.

If the Cell green LED is flashing with the Check Salt LED, it indicates the salt level in the pool needs to be checked, adding if necessary, and the IECG needs to be inspected and cleaned if necessary.
Source: IntelliChlor Electronic Chlorine Generator Installation and User’s Guide
Given that the symptoms are different (in October, the "red salt light stayed on" but on the replacement cell, OP reports that the "cell light is flashing") it will be interesting to see if this is another bad cell. Thanks for watching my back! :-D

I had the same problem last year. This was a new pool and my first pool. By any chance do you have and intelliflow variable speed pump? If you do and the setting is on a low speed the light will come on before you think you need to backflush. I found two solutions to this. (1) Back flush more often, (2) Run the pump at a higher RPM. 2500 works for me.

Thanks again for all help...
Just got back today, the pool is at 71 the cell light is still flashing.
The model is a IC 20.
Primetime: just have a Whisperflow
Pool Clown. looked on the receipt and the cell couldn't see if it was a v 2.0.
Pour drink and call Pentair
Check water tomorrow ..Then cranking up the heat for finally warm weekend!
Thanks for everybody's help..

Saga continues... Now Mr. Fred from Pentair gave me why the reason [check]cell light is blinking.
Drum roll... My pool guy is not using the Pentair Electrolytic Cell Acid Cleaning Kit.
This was after he tells me my water is to cold. Cranked up the heat pump water at 84.. Told him to call the pool company.. No Mr. Fred you will not ruin my first spring weekend... to be continue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seems like nobody put in the work order to come out to the house..they didn't have me on record calling 2 weeks ago... Somebody coming out Tuesday... Had to drop 2 bags of refresh on Easter Sunday do to the pool turning green from ...bad cell. Had same problem with the Auto -Pilot when cell goes bad, pool turns green..... Till Tuesday!

Service company here at 8pm ..he did call this a.m and tell he would be there before nightfall.. Put in new cell ... Now red salt light on [low salt] Salt reading 3000 Sat. A.M.. Pool guy pull out his trusted meter it read 2900.. Maybe the new cell is reading ... I'll run pool all nite and check in the a.m

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.