Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 60* and pool not opened, bugs in cover h2o

1. Back To Top    #1

60* and pool not opened, bugs in cover h2o

I have not opened my agp yet because we expect more snow this weekend, but meantime I may have bugs gowing and hatching in the water on the pool cover. Is there anything I need to do except wait it out? I don't want to start up untill I know there wont be a chance of a freeze. Pool filter and pump are still winterized in basement. Could I add one of those mosquito birth controle pills? Or would it just pollute my water under the cover? What do you do unill it gets warm enough to really open up the pool?

With the Intex it was never a problem because we didnt do anything untill the end of May when it was 60* most days. I know I'm just in a hurry to have spring come and pull off the cover of the pool and see what its like under it! Nice to see most of the snow gone anyway... Kim
    5 years 18' Intex Frame pool, July 2009 upgrade, 28ft rnd used Doughboy, 1hs Hayward Power Flow pump, Doughboy DE filter.TF test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 60* and pool not opened, bugs in cover h2o

I'm sure someone will give you good advice. Are you talking about Mosquito Buds or the little Mosq. Rings; the ones that biologically (not poison) kill the larvae? I think those are safe for bird baths so I would think that a tiny bit in pool water would do nothing to harm larger mammals or alter the water balance in any way. It just takes a tiny bit to do the job. I use those all over my place year round. When I don't have the Buds and need some for small amounts of standing water I just break little pieces off of the ring.

But better that someone who really knows give the advice.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by kimrst
    What do you do unill it gets warm enough to really open up the pool?
    Don't worry about it?
    They're bugs. Whats the worst that can happen? They grow into adult bugs and fly or walk away. If any bugs get into your pool its no different than when bugs get in your pool in the middle of July.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Why not just add some bleach? Definitely won't cause any harm to the pool water, and I can't imagine that mosquito larvae would like it very much. We are in to BBB after all!
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, just dump half a cup of bleach in the puddle on top of the cover. That'll wipe out the critters.

IMO, you're right to be concerned about it. I just read a paper which indicated that Michigan carries the heaviest load of mosquitoes that are heartworm vectors. Even if you don't have pets it's a good idea to control the bugs.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    Michigan carries the heaviest load of mosquitoes that are heartworm vectors.
    She didnt say they were mosquitos, just some kind of bug.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

I saw the question about "mosquito birth control pills" and concluded the hatching bugs were mosquitoes.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by svenpup
    Why not just add some bleach? Definitely won't cause any harm to the pool water, and I can't imagine that mosquito larvae would like it very much. We are in to BBB after all!
    That was my first thought, too!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd pump the water off the cover. No water=no bug incubator. If you can't do that then use some bleach.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I'll add my vote for bleach also. Since I don't have any weights to hold by cover down, I always leave some water on it to keep the wind from grabbing it. Of course that means algae from all the gunk that also lands there. I periodically pour a little bleach in that water to control the algae, and it also stops the bugs.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.