New pool build Houston Greater Area

Jun 27, 2009
After months of research , I finally decided to pull the trigger.
I am planning to be an owner builder. Feel free to give me advices and suggestions.
I will find all the subs that are necessary to do the job, hopefully a decent one.
I have no experience and only learn bits and pieces here and there from talking to pool owner, pool builder and subcontractors, and from reading this wonderful site and howibuiltmyownpool.com.
The intent is to be as functional as possible, lap pool, play pool and with the looks of a large fountain.
I also like to make it as maintenance free as possible.

Here is my to be new pool :
15 x 45 feet ( almost lap pool size) rectangular, nothing fancy) 3.5 ft, 5 ft and 4ft deep. About 22,000 gal
Gunite
Pebble Fina
Wedding cake entry
Salt water
No spa
Solar Heater, any advice would be helpful .
3 or 4 lights, 2 main, position at either end and maybe smaller, spa size position at longer side of pool, probably will go with Pentair Intellibrite LED, SAM and SAL
6 returns
2 skimmers
6 deck jets ( Pentair) to be install on inside wall of pool
Initially I wanted to do an all around raised pool, 12 in rise from the deck to have the appearance of a fountain, but also to keep leaves, debris and little critters out of the pool.
I also wanted to have an automatic pool cover ( for especially safety, but also to keep evaporation and chemical loss at a minimum.
I looked at Cover Pool and Aquamatic and soon discover that it is not possible to do a fountain look with a cover due to the trench that is require to house the cover. I also found out that the skimmer will be an issue as well since the water line would have to raise as well.
I finally opted for a tall cast stone coping ( less than 6-7 inches tall) that would have to be custom made. This will resolve the skimmer issue since the water line would not have to be raise. Hopefully the cast stone would not be an issue with salt water pool.

Decking : I would like to do 24in cast stone or cement tile with mondo grown in between, will this be a problem with mondo ?
Total sq ft about 950 . If anyone has done this please share your experience.

Equipments:
Mostly Pentair, Intelliflo VF main pump, Intellitouch, Hayward DE 72 sq ft filter, Intellichlor IC-40, Solar heater ( have not decided, the heater type that looks like a photovoltaic panel would look really nice since I am planning to get solar panel at some point )

Thanks in advance for your inputs
I will post some pictures when the project is underway.

I'll post more later when I have more time, but one question I need to ask: Why the Hayward DE filter? Why wouldn't you use all Pentair (I personally like the Clean & Clear Plus 420 SF cartridge filter) and have them provide the three year warranry on everything?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.