Links don't always show up in a clear blue or unique color

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
San Rafael, CA USA
As you can see in this post, the link in the words "this map" are barely distinguishable from black. Other links as in this post for the words "this report" are a much lighter blue and easier to see, but later on the words "this EPA report" are that dark blue that looks very much like black.

It is important to be able to easily see links in one's text. Yes, one can move the cursor around to see if an underline pops up, but that's obviously not a great workaround. Can this problem be fixed? It seemed to start happening after the last upgrade.

Richard

I'm reposting some of the info in the other post I linked to in order to test the fix. It still looks broken to me. The "this report" is light blue but the "this EPA report" is dark blue. See below...

It started with information in this report where the most reasonable number for the highest No Observed Adverse Effect Level (NOAEL) was 8.8 mg/kg (note that borates are meaured in units of Boron so this is milligrams of Boron per kilogram of body weight).

I then ran into this EPA report that also quotes the 8.8 mg/kg as an NOAEL limit, but they use a factor of 100 Margin of Exposure (MOE) to be extra safe for humans (i.e. assuming that humans might be more sensitive than dogs since no direct toxicity tests were done on humans).

I just checked this in Safari 4.0.5 and the links look OK (i.e. the same light blue) there. So this must be some sort of bug in Firefox 3.6 so I'll take it up with them. Sorry for the distraction. I'm running on Mac OS 10.5.8. However, when I reloaded this page, the links now look OK even in Firefox so perhaps it's intermittent or the problem was temporarily in my cache from before.

chem geek said:
I'm reposting some of the info in the other post I linked to in order to test the fix. It still looks broken to me. The "this report" is light blue but the "this EPA report" is dark blue. See below...

It started with information in this report where the most reasonable number for the highest No Observed Adverse Effect Level (NOAEL) was 8.8 mg/kg (note that borates are meaured in units of Boron so this is milligrams of Boron per kilogram of body weight).

I then ran into this EPA report that also quotes the 8.8 mg/kg as an NOAEL limit, but they use a factor of 100 Margin of Exposure (MOE) to be extra safe for humans (i.e. assuming that humans might be more sensitive than dogs since no direct toxicity tests were done on humans).

In my version of IE they look like different shades of blue, the second being very hard to distinguish.
I often manually change my links setting them to bold and/or underline.

Some of the links were a very dark blue, almost black. I changed them to be lighter, similar to the ones that were alright to begin with. Apparently the old version was cached for a while in some places, so some people saw the new version right away and some took longer to see it.

So now all the links, and I mean ALL of them, are the lighter blue. So that means thread titles and other links. I certainly didn't need all of those to also change -- it was just text inside posts that really needed to be distinguishable. I guess we can see how things go, but if you have the ability to have the more obvious links outside of posts be darker (they never really needed to be blue) while links inside posts be lighter, that would be ideal. I guess we can just see how people like/dislike the change to the link color outside of posts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.