Solar heat panel mounting

Ideally you want to mount panels on both sides. If you are only doing one side, then think about possible shading from trees (bad) and check if either one points slightly more towards the south (good) than the other. And of course, would panels be unsightly on one side or the other?

Thanks Jason, no trees, and building is dead due east/west. I was going with 1 4x20 but now I may go with 2 one on each side of the peak.

Also, my pool is an AG but piped with 2" PVC,do the Fafco panels have 2" headers ? as I don't want any loss by smaller pipe

If you are only using one or two panels the size of the headers makes no measurable difference. The maximum flow rate per panel is limited, so 1 1/2" is fine till you get up to several panels. There is only a tiny restriction in flow from having to step down to 1 1/2" pipe for a few feet. The longer the length of the 1 1/2" section of pipe the more important it becomes.

Thanks for the reply, I am in New Orleans and want to start my swim season early, would 1 4x20 surfice or do I need 2 also my pump is 1hp 2 speed, will the low speed work with the panels mounted 14' high ?

And I still havn't decided on east or west slope

My opinion is that you need at least two of the 4x20 panels.

I think you'll just have to try the pump on low to see if it'll push enough water through the panels. I suspect it will but you never really know till you try. Maybe Mark (MAS985) or one of the other hydraulic experts will see this and can give some insight to it.

divinduck said:
also my pump is 1hp 2 speed, will the low speed work with the panels mounted 14' high ?

Not well. Low speed would not have enough pressure to prime the panels so you would need to run on high speed for priming and then switch to low automatically which would require a controller. But even then, if the vacuum release valve is on top of the roof, the panels will lose prime when switching to low speed. Plus, the solar efficiency would probably not be very good on low speed. So overall, solar and low speed don't work very well together. You can make it work, but it is not easy. The following would be required:

Install the vacuum release ~6' above the pad.

Use an automated controller that would prime at high speed and then switch to low speed. However, if the controller also controls the solar valve, there could be a problem since most controllers will not allow low speed with solar engaged. So you would need two independent controllers, one for the pump and one for solar or simply have solar engaged all the time.

That is the only way I know of to get low speed to work on elevated panels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.