Name that Price

Mar 15, 2010
Hi Folks. I was hoping to get a sanity check from the pro's or anyone that recently purchased an inground pool. I have received 5 bids and I need to pull the trigger. Can anyone give me a reasonable guesstimate on the price of the following pool;

-100' free form; approx 20k gallons (3.5ft - 5.5ft depth)
- Fiberglass wall & concrete bottom hybrid (customizable shape)
- No hardscape at all; no patio, no coping, etc. (handled under a separate contract)
- Pentair equipment (super-flo pump, 26" sand filter, ultra-temp heat pump, 2 Intellibrite lights, 4 magicstream deck jets, EZ Touch automation system ((8S/IC40) with EZ touch chlorine generator)
- Polaris cleaner
- Water line tile
- mesh safety cover
- Standard pool supplies including solar blanket
- Simple excavation...area is clear, easy access, 4' gradient drop across pool area
- Reputable established pool company....good people

Just looking for ballpark range (plus/minus a few thousand) on what would be a good deal, ok deal, or bad deal?? Appreciate any insight. Did much research and there's really not much info on fiberglass/concrete hybrids. The pool vendor (not installer) is Family Fun Pools (www.familyfunpools.com).

How did you decide on a Hybrid?
Where did you find 5 Hybrid dealers in your area? Not a popular type in most parts of the country. Painting every few years became a drag and they became less popular because of it. I assume your bids were for several types of pools and the Hybrid dealer seemed to be the one you like.
Where are you located? Prices vary by geography.
Which Polaris?
There is no such thing as "Standard pool supplies". They vary from vendor to vendor.
What size SuperFlow? Why is he quoting a SuperFlo vs a Whisper Pump? Super-Flo is normally a Hayward SuperPump replacement. It'll work great but it's strange.
A 26" Sand Dollar is 1.5" plumbing only. Most new pools are plumbed using 2" to reduce head loss.
What make/model mesh safety cover. They aren't all the same!
Who is pulling the permits?
You are going to need a retaining wall to cope with that 4' drop.

Scott

Painting every few years?? I didn't bargain for that. I was thinking 5-7 yrs. I only received 1 hybrid bid. The rest were gunite and vinyl liner...mostly vinyl liner. Figured the maint/replacement requirement for either would be similar over time.

I'm located in Cincinnati. It's the Polaris 3900 cleaner. I'm not sure why he's quoting a super-flo vice a whisper flo. Are they compatible in price or quality? Should I ask the question? Just found out the Pentair stuff comes with a 3-yr warranty...which is nice.

I think the cover is a loop-loc. He is pulling all permits. He's also covering the electician stuff.

Yes, the project will require retaining walls. My other headache is getting hardscape quotes. I can't even decide between paver or stamped concrete. I don't even wanna think about the hardscape effort.

When using epoxy paint, you might get 4 years. The temp extremes, sun, chemical exposure, all contribute to paint life. Don't ever put off a paint job. If water gets to the F/G for an extended period, it can delaminate and form blisters, not just in the paint but in the fiberglass too. Getting blisters out is a real PITA!

Go with the Pentair Legend cleaner instead. It's reliable as can be and will be included in the extended warranty. I suspect the builder wants to go on the Club P trip he gets when he sells a certain number of new cleaners.

SuperFlo/SandDollar combinations get an dealer rebate ($50 if I remember). The only concern I have as I said earlier is that the Sand Dollar filter is strictly an inch and a half filter. A filter designed for 2" plumbing is recommended as they tend to have less head loss. Your pump will not have to work as hard and will use less electricity.

Loop-Loc is as good as they get when it comes to safety covers.

My guess for this pool, you'll revisit liner and gunite. Also look at fiberglass shells. The better ones' Gel coat won't need refinishing for over 20 years. Liners last an average of 10 years before needing to be replaced and gunite is dependent on the finish used, 10 to 30 years plus.

Scott

Could you make a recommendation on another Pentair filter besides the Sand Dollar that uses the 2" plumbing. This concerns me since my pad is about 3 feet higher than pool level. As I understand it, that's gonna be real hard on the pump & filter. If I move to a filter with 2" plumbing, will I need to adjust other equipment? Thanks for the great info. Lots to think about.

Scott...I did some research. Looks like the Pentair Triton may be a better choice. I think it has the 2" plumbing and may serve me better since the pad is 3 feet higher than pool level. The Sand Dollar proposed is the SD80....which seems to be a solid unit. I think the Triton equivalent is probably the TR100. It's twice the price, but may be worth it. What do you think?

Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.