Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: evaporation question.

1. Back To Top    #1

evaporation question.

my pool is losing about 1" of water every 2 weeks or so.
    I have 14000 gal in ground just finished in Dec 09
    Been using the spa in the weekend.

Pool is mostly in the sun and it is somewhat windy in my area.

Do you think the evaporation and water lost is normal?
    14000K gal 400sq ft w 6x8 spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050, Pentair cart filter, Pentair Master Temp, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Easy Touch 8, wireless control. 3x intellibrite LED light. Pentair Kreepy Krauley Sand Shark. Solar Panel Plumbing. 2 x 24 inch arc sheer 24" spa spill way.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: evaporation question.

Quote Originally Posted by fkong777

Absolutely.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Quote Originally Posted by fkong777

Absolutely.
    On a sunny and/or windy summer day my pool can lose an inch of water with no swimmers or splash out; only evaporation. With doggies in and out of pool for hours on end even more. We have had much lower temps than normal for months which still continues. For three, going on four months we have had far less sunny days than normal. Dogs are not swimming much yet, but pool loses about 1/4 a day right now in mid-March. There are no leaks.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

4. Back To Top    #4

Depending on where you're located (you can add that to your profile) 1/2" per week isn't much at all.

We're in South Alabama and in the heat of the summer without rains we can lose 1" a week or more. I bet in Arizona they can lose more than that.

If you want to make sure it's evaporation and not a leak you can do a bucket test.

Take a bucket and fill it about 2/3ds full of water. Sit it on the top step and either mark the water level or measure it precisely. Then mark or measure the water level in the pool. The next day measure how much the level in the bucket and the pool has dropped. Compare the two and they should have the same amount of drop. Don't run fountains or such during this time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You can see annual evaporation rates across the country in this map. Note that this is for unheated water that is just in an open pan exposed to air and wind in that area. This is annual loss where the loss in summer is higher due to the higher average temperatures. Also, heated pools have a higher loss. Even ignoring these effects, 50" per year would be nearly an inch per week. In a hot arid climate the loss rate can easily be more than double (i.e. > 2" per week).

Using a pool cover is the best way to virtually eliminate this evaporation and also to retain heat in the pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. wont be concern about leaks now. Since the Pool is only 3 months old.. didnt know about evaporation rates.
    14000K gal 400sq ft w 6x8 spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050, Pentair cart filter, Pentair Master Temp, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Easy Touch 8, wireless control. 3x intellibrite LED light. Pentair Kreepy Krauley Sand Shark. Solar Panel Plumbing. 2 x 24 inch arc sheer 24" spa spill way.

7. Back To Top    #7

Any thoughts on making this post sticky ? It's has some VERY good info (especially with the map) on evaporation rates etc... I think it would be a great post to keep around.

Thanks!
    20x40 Vinyl IG, 1.5 HP Hayward SuperPump II, Sand Filter, Polaris 280