New Pool Owner looking to Learn...Where to Start?

Still running pump....I've been brushing about every other day just to stir it up...I'll change to daily. It stirs up the water a lot and makes it pretty dark but i think that it helps the filter catch some of the Crud.

Filter is running 24/7 as long as I'm around every 8 hours of so to check the pressure. If i'm going for the night i'll turn it off at last possible minute. I've got a timer that i need to get wired up so that I can set the time run as needed for when I leave.

Back to the pool store tonight to get the weir doors...I also need more bleach and a vacuum plate. Coming along...Updated photos soon!

well I'm still plugging along here.....gone through about 18 gallons of Chlorine now. off for another 5 gallons tonight. SSSSSLLLLOOOOWWWWW going.

Color has not changed much but I'm brushing daily so it's getting stirred up regularly. I have noticed that there is not nearly as much stuff on the bottom, but enough to brush and it pushes brown Crud around. I've also vacuumed a few times and I've been trying to brush everything to the deep end and then I'll vacuum it again tonight.

Should i be opening the main drain a little to try and frain from the bottom also? If there are a few leaves do i run the risk of clogging the drain?

yes CYA is 30 still....ive had to add a little a while ago with all the rain/back-washing I've been doing.

I'll try the rake although there is not that many in there, that's why i thought about possibly trying to vacuum what i can and then partially opening the main drain valve to run some current from the bottom. If this will potentially cause issues than i dont want to mess things up.

Well I think it depends alot on what type of cover is over the maindrain. Older ones that allow large debris thru would be more prone to clogging.
I would surely try vacuming it up and getting the circulation down there improving, that's likely hindering the process.
How many returns do you have? Can you point one near the deep end downward to aid in circulation?

Ya that's the problem...I have no idea whats down there....so maybe i should wait on that. I've got 4 returns...one directly under the diving board that is pointed down to the deep end...

I guess I'll just keep shocking and brushing! hope that this thing starts to clear soon!

Still shocking....It's been about a month. The leaf rake across the bottoms results in only a small amount of leafs. i need to start vacuuming to remove some of the sediment. Chugging along and with the 90 degree temps the pools up to about 74! and it feels very tempting!

At about 18 gallons of 12% bleach up to this point. Getting another 5 gallons tonight. I'll post some updated photos soon!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tested CYA yesterday and got a reading of 10... so I added some stabilizer (calculator said 2 quarts but i added about 6 cups). Now somehow my CYA tested at about 55 today or 24 hours after adding! I tested in the calm area of the pool, is it possible that it's not that high and i just got a concentrated sample? At any rate i added enough chlorine to increase level to 20. CYA was added in a sock in front of the return.

Ive been on a daily brushing schedule for the last 2 weeks or so. Last two nights I've been vacuuming until the pressure rises, and I've done about 7 cycles of that. The vacuuming is pulling some leafs off the bottom and dirt/sand. It must be getting a little clearer because i can faintly see a lighter area where I'm vacuuming in the shallow end.

We've had some nice hot weather lately and that's helped rise the temps of the pool. Yesterday afternoon it was up to 77 uncovered! I'm really getting the itch to jump in! Solar cover should be here this week also the ladder! I may get in and install the lights. I've got some questions involving that:

One light was damaged beyond repair so i ordered a new one and removed the old one. To install the new one should i just tape the end to prevent water entering the line? of the wire and thread it to the junction box? Also the other existing light just needs a bulb replaced. I've got that ready to be replaced and my question comes on re-sealing the ballast. The rubber gasket is old but it should work. How should i clean this and re-seal the gasket so that it does not leak?

Test results this morning before adding bleach:
FC: 11.5
CC: .75
TC: 12.25
CYA: 55
PH: 7.2
Did not test CH or AK

To update....were REALLY, REALLY Close! Easily see bottom of shallow end and nearly bottom of deep end with nice clear water. There is still some dirt in the bottom but not very much. A few more days of vacuuming should take care of that. The vacuuming really sped things along.

Got in last weekend and installed the lights and did some electrical work to replace the old broken switch. It looks so cool at night!

Here is a night shot for your viewing pleasure.
6-2-10-5.jpg

Great job wiscousonian, you are definately almost there. You will have sparkling clear water before you know it!
Your pool looks awesome at night, but please share a daytime picture so we can see what the water looks like now.

Keep up the good work. I'm sure you can see now that it has all been worth it!

~ Samantha

well after another vacuuming and a few days I'm pretty sure I'm DONE!!!!! There is still some sand in the pool that will take another vacuuming to remove.

Yesterday it was Cristal clear! I did a preliminary overnight loss test and at night it tested at 20 and this morning it was 19.5. I'm going to actually do the test tonight and see the results.

Also i got the ladder in and installed, Also put the solar cover on last night. I'm going to let it sit for a day or so then I'll cut it to shape. It seems like it's going to be a PITA to use especially if it's going on and off daily....Should I get a solar reel? If so what one?...any recommendations for something cheap? I've already spent enough on missing and necessary items for the pool that I'd like to keep it cheap if possible.

Anything else i need to do before I determine I'm done shocking?

Your criteria for being done shocking is:
FC Holds overnight
CC is .5 or less
Water is sparkly

I think you are there :)

I know zip about solar reels. If no one chimes in, you can start a new thread about it.... use the Google search, bottom left corner to search for old threads about it. Some folks report sucess with cutting the cover in to smaller manageable sections.

Don't worry about your TA. But where's your PH reading?

All high TA will do is make the PH drift up. When the PH drifts up to 7.8, lower it down to 7.2 with Muratic Acid. The Acid additions will slowly drop your TA too, and eventually they will both be in range.

Some folks experience no PH drift even with TA in your range. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.