Algae and rain in central texas

so its rained 32 of the last 35 days here in Austin. Pool was relatively clean until last week when we had some pretty torrential rain 4 days in a row. Now the pool is pretty green with algae. I shocked it yesterday just to bring up the chlorine level. Its supposed to rain all through this week and next. Should I try and clean it now or just wait til it stops raining. Should I keep scrubbing it every day to keep algae away and keep the chlorine level high? I just moved into this house about 2 months ago and I am new to pool ownership...

Without seeing a set of test numbers on your pool, I would suggest brushing, as you mentioned, vacuuming often and elevating your Chlorine level. I would also assume that your pH level is high. Try to keep that in a moderate range as well. Rain and runoff into the pool will introduce all of the nasties that affect your pool chemistry. If you can, post some numbers and we will try to keep you ahead of the game. Good Luck.

divnkd101 said:
Without seeing a set of test numbers on your pool, I would suggest brushing, as you mentioned, vacuuming often and elevating your Chlorine level. I would also assume that your pH level is high. Try to keep that in a moderate range as well. Rain and runoff into the pool will introduce all of the nasties that affect your pool chemistry. If you can, post some numbers and we will try to keep you ahead of the game. Good Luck.

I will test it again this afternoon and post some numbers...

thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PureCo,
You have to keep the free chlorine (FC) level up until the algae is dead. Without knowing how much cyanuric acid (cya) is in the water, it is difficult (if not impossible) to know the correct FC level required to kill the algae quickly. At any rate, keep "shocking" until the pool uses no more than .5 ppm chlorine overnight, and the combined chlorines (CC) is less than .5 ppm. The water will be very cloudy (but not green) due to the dead algae. After that you have some options for clearing out the dead algae: a) continuous filtration b) continous filtration combined with continued shocking c) Omni Liquid Floc Plus (a clarifier/flocculant)

Poseidon said:
PureCo,
You have to keep the free chlorine (FC) level up until the algae is dead. Without knowing how much cyanuric acid (cya) is in the water, it is difficult (if not impossible) to know the correct FC level required to kill the algae quickly. At any rate, keep "shocking" until the pool uses no more than .5 ppm chlorine overnight, and the combined chlorines (CC) is less than .5 ppm. The water will be very cloudy (but not green) due to the dead algae. After that you have some options for clearing out the dead algae: a) continuous filtration b) continous filtration combined with continued shocking c) Omni Liquid Floc Plus (a clarifier/flocculant)

thank you so much for the info...

How do I measure the cya level? is there even a test for that? If I take a sample of it to the pool store, can they do it?
I will keep shocking the pool to bring the FC level up. Hopefully that will do the trick..plus it keeps raining every Dang day over here...this is what it must feel like to live in Seattle.

PureCo,
The pool store can test your water, but sometimes pool store testing is not reliable, surprising as that may be. Most of the regulars here (including me) recommend a good test kit, such as the Trouble Free kit at this link. This kit includes everything you need for testing yor water.

It's rained a lot here in Houston too :evil:

We have had quite a bit of rain here too, in SE TX, near Beaumont. I have basically been keeping my pool slightly above the "normal chlorine levels" . It does get a bit cloudy from the rainwater( thanks Refineries) but so far no algae. I would say stay on top of it, and it will pass.....I Hope, we had 6 more inches today and have a flood watch.

how do I tell if my auto chlorinator is working ok? It has still rained everyday this week and quite a bit too. Pool is still very green. I have brushed it every day this week. shocked it 3 times this week. Put 4 chlorine tabs in my auto chlorinator on sunday and today it seems like they haven't really been "used" up very much...IDK...im just looking for answers...last night my FC level was abour 3. I shocked it again just now so I will see whats it at tomorrow morning...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.