Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae and rain in central texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae and rain in central texas

so its rained 32 of the last 35 days here in Austin. Pool was relatively clean until last week when we had some pretty torrential rain 4 days in a row. Now the pool is pretty green with algae. I shocked it yesterday just to bring up the chlorine level. Its supposed to rain all through this week and next. Should I try and clean it now or just wait til it stops raining. Should I keep scrubbing it every day to keep algae away and keep the chlorine level high? I just moved into this house about 2 months ago and I am new to pool ownership...
    Tampa, Florida

17,000 gallon IG pool, DE FIlter, pebble finish, 1 1/2 hp, 8 4x10 solar panels, screen cage, combined ozone/SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2
    IMO I would try to stay on top of the problem as best you can. The longer it goes, the harder it will be to bring back. I sympathize with all of the rain your area has received. Good Luck and keep us posted.
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

3. Back To Top    #3

You have to stay on top of it. Otherwise you will end up with a swamp that will take more time and work to clean up.
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

4. Back To Top    #4

define " stay on top of it"...Like I said, I am new to pool ownership...

scrub everyday and keep all levels good as much as I can?
    Tampa, Florida

17,000 gallon IG pool, DE FIlter, pebble finish, 1 1/2 hp, 8 4x10 solar panels, screen cage, combined ozone/SWG.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Without seeing a set of test numbers on your pool, I would suggest brushing, as you mentioned, vacuuming often and elevating your Chlorine level. I would also assume that your pH level is high. Try to keep that in a moderate range as well. Rain and runoff into the pool will introduce all of the nasties that affect your pool chemistry. If you can, post some numbers and we will try to keep you ahead of the game. Good Luck.
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PureCo
    define " stay on top of it"...Like I said, I am new to pool ownership...

scrub everyday and keep all levels good as much as I can?
    Just means to shock, brush and test the water with a good test kit, like the TFP kit. Keep doing so until the pool uses very little (if any) chlorine overnight. That's when the algae has been killed.
    Poor Man's Pool
    50 ppm borates

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by divnkd101
    Without seeing a set of test numbers on your pool, I would suggest brushing, as you mentioned, vacuuming often and elevating your Chlorine level. I would also assume that your pH level is high. Try to keep that in a moderate range as well. Rain and runoff into the pool will introduce all of the nasties that affect your pool chemistry. If you can, post some numbers and we will try to keep you ahead of the game. Good Luck.
    I will test it again this afternoon and post some numbers...

thank you!
    Tampa, Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

After more torrential rain yesterday, I tested the pool one more time. I also brushed the entire pool. I had shocked it the day before. Chlorine level is at 2.5 or so...Should I shock it again to bring it up close to 5? I just did the chlorine test because it was already so late..I will do the other tests tonight...
    Tampa, Florida

9. Back To Top    #9
    If you water looks good I would focus on keeping the chlorine level stead. If it looks bad then shock.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If you water looks good I would focus on keeping the chlorine level stead. If it looks bad then shock.
    water still looks greenish...It looks a little better...

think I will shock it again...is it ok to shock it again even though I shocked it two days ago??...Its rained cats and dogs out here for past two days..
    Tampa, Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

PureCo,
    You have to keep the free chlorine (FC) level up until the algae is dead. Without knowing how much cyanuric acid (cya) is in the water, it is difficult (if not impossible) to know the correct FC level required to kill the algae quickly. At any rate, keep "shocking" until the pool uses no more than .5 ppm chlorine overnight, and the combined chlorines (CC) is less than .5 ppm. The water will be very cloudy (but not green) due to the dead algae. After that you have some options for clearing out the dead algae: a) continuous filtration b) continous filtration combined with continued shocking c) Omni Liquid Floc Plus (a clarifier/flocculant)
    Poor Man's Pool
    50 ppm borates

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon
    PureCo,
    You have to keep the free chlorine (FC) level up until the algae is dead. Without knowing how much cyanuric acid (cya) is in the water, it is difficult (if not impossible) to know the correct FC level required to kill the algae quickly. At any rate, keep "shocking" until the pool uses no more than .5 ppm chlorine overnight, and the combined chlorines (CC) is less than .5 ppm. The water will be very cloudy (but not green) due to the dead algae. After that you have some options for clearing out the dead algae: a) continuous filtration b) continous filtration combined with continued shocking c) Omni Liquid Floc Plus (a clarifier/flocculant)
    thank you so much for the info...

How do I measure the cya level? is there even a test for that? If I take a sample of it to the pool store, can they do it?
    I will keep shocking the pool to bring the FC level up. Hopefully that will do the trick..plus it keeps raining every **** day over here...this is what it must feel like to live in Seattle.
    Tampa, Florida

13. Back To Top    #13

PureCo,
    The pool store can test your water, but sometimes pool store testing is not reliable, surprising as that may be. Most of the regulars here (including me) recommend a good test kit, such as the Trouble Free kit at this link. This kit includes everything you need for testing yor water.

It's rained a lot here in Houston too
    Poor Man's Pool
    50 ppm borates

14. Back To Top    #14
    We have had quite a bit of rain here too, in SE TX, near Beaumont. I have basically been keeping my pool slightly above the "normal chlorine levels" . It does get a bit cloudy from the rainwater( thanks Refineries) but so far no algae. I would say stay on top of it, and it will pass.....I Hope, we had 6 more inches today and have a flood watch.
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

15. Back To Top    #15

how do I tell if my auto chlorinator is working ok? It has still rained everyday this week and quite a bit too. Pool is still very green. I have brushed it every day this week. shocked it 3 times this week. Put 4 chlorine tabs in my auto chlorinator on sunday and today it seems like they haven't really been "used" up very much...IDK...im just looking for answers...last night my FC level was abour 3. I shocked it again just now so I will see whats it at tomorrow morning...
    Tampa, Florida