Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: springtails

1. Back To Top    #1

springtails

Hey y'all. We have springtails in my pool! I have searched the internet and the only solution seems to be making a dishwashing detergent solution to spray on them. Will this affect my pool chemistry?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Small quantities of most detergents and soaps, say a few spritzes from a spray bottle, will be broken down by chlorine reasonably quickly and not cause any problems. Larger quantities, say an entire container, could use up your chlorine and possibly cause significant foaming.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Hmmmm....talk about a mean trick to play on an irritating neighbor.....dishsoap in the pool....suds city......
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

4. Back To Top    #4

What about just a little bug spray. Would that affect the water?

5. Back To Top    #5
    You can use 'Tile Soap". It will not foam since it is designed for use in pools (and mixed with muriatic acid is the BEST waterline tile cleaner around! ) It is a non foaming surfactant. I use the 'Poolboy' brand. It comes in gallon jugs but it's worth having around. Most well stocked pool supplies carry tile soap. You don't want an acid based tile cleaner, just tile soap like the pool maintenance guys use.

Another great use of tile soap is to put it in a squeeze bottle and squirt it across the pool when you are skimming with a net. It will make all the pollen and small stuff collect around the edge of the pool and make skimming it out much easier.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the tip waterbear. I also have backswimmers. Will this kill them as well? My pool store reccomended "bug out." How is this in comparison?

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the tip waterbear. I also have backswimmers. Will this kill them as well? My pool store reccomended bug out. How is this in comparison?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    You can use 'Tile Soap". It will not foam since it is designed for use in pools . . .
    Is it safe to use on fiberglass? If so, where can I get some? Is it sold in any online stores? I could look locally but I doubt I would find it. . .
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

9. Back To Top    #9
    Yes, it is safe for fiberglass. I use it all the time to clean my waterline tile. It is probably sold in online stores but I don't know where. Most well stocked pool supplies should carry it or be able to get it for you. Tell them you want 'tile soap'. The kind used by pool service companies in the gallon jugs.