Finally Home From Afghanistan - Here are my numbers!

pzmotorsports

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
San Antonio, TX
It has been a while since my last post, I built my inground lined pool back in 08 (18 x 36 w/sand filter) and since then it has been maintained by a pool company. Now I am finally home and ready to go! I got the TF 100 kit and will like to share the results with everyone and get some advice on were to go from here.
FC 9.1
CC .5
T/A 90
CYA 90
According to the calculation table I am high on the FC, CC and CYA. But when I look at other charts and find my readings they are not bad as long as they all fall within the same bracket, but I am not sure about this.

I got a small training session from my pool lady the last day of her service which was about 12 days ago. I cleaned the pool this past weekend but have not added any chemicals.
Her advice was to add about 1 to 2 gallons of bleach and 1 to 2 tablets once a week and backwash once a month. They did a good job but I know I can do better and make that water crystal clear, that's what I told my wife :-D I am decent with the hand vacuum she also showed me how to get the air out of the hose and the setup of the valves.
Thanks to everyone for the help!

Well welcome back! Now enjoy some well-deserved time relaxing with the pool!

First off, yes, you have a high CYA reading. Your FC is actually right on the money for that level of CYA. Since you are able to backwash, you might just stop using tablets and let the CYA fall on it's own from water replacement after backwashing. Then you won't have to maintain such a high FC. So, no more tablets. Just use bleach exclusively.

I didn't see a pH in your numbers. Have you checked that?

How did you get the 9.1 reading on your FC? Generally, your FC reading should be in increments of 0.2 or 0.5 ppm, depending on your sample size.. Wasn't sure if maybe that was a typo.

Welcome back! Glad to hear you made it home safely....:)

Yes, tell us your PH. And I agree, no more tablets for everyday use.

Refresh your memory with the pool calculator, testing each night and adding the appropriate amount of bleach to keep the FC above the min (refer to the CYA chart).

You can try running with the higher CYA level, but you might be better off just draining down about 1/3 to get that CYA down to a more manageable number.

Now I hope you will be swimming shortly....

Thanks for the warm welcome, feels good to be back home! 257 you were on the money with your FC comment, I actually made the mistake of multiplying by .7 instead of .5 on the Chlorine Drop Test, went back and tested again and got a reading of 3.5 for the FC. According to the Pool Calculator I will need to add 11 oz. of liquid bleach to read the Recommended 3.7 FC for my pool.
I will follow the advice of back washing in order to drop the CYA number, I will do this twice a month instead of once as recommended by pool lady. I will be getting that bleach in there tomorrow.
The PH is 7.5

Thanks again to everyone for the great advice and such a great forum!! Can't wait for the hot weather :party:

Just had to say Welcome Home!

Your friends on TFP will help your keep your backyard oasis in perfect condition!

When you get a few minutes, add your pool and equipment specs to your signature.
Instructions are in first article in Pool School. This will help us help you :-D

pzmotorsports said:
I will follow the advice of back washing in order to drop the CYA number, I will do this twice a month instead of once as recommended by pool lady. I will be getting that bleach in there tomorrow.

You can do that of course, or you could go with frustratedpoolmom's advice and drain off 1/3 of your water to speed up the process. You can run with that higher CYA. It'll just take more bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm with everybody else in wishing you a very warm and well-deserved homecoming!!! :wave: Glad you're back safely, and yes...there aren't enough thank you's in the world for our soldiers who put their lives on the line to keep us free. You're on your way to a beautiful sparkly pool...enjoy it immensely!

welcome home!!!!! my hubby got back late last summer and is also ready for some summer pool fun too.
have a great summer and enjoy that pool.

chris

Welcome back! Please, whatever you do, enjoy that pool because you deserve it! :cool:

Thank you for your sacrifices so we can be free! :salut:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.