Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Finally Home From Afghanistan - Here are my numbers!

1. Back To Top    #1

Finally Home From Afghanistan - Here are my numbers!

It has been a while since my last post, I built my inground lined pool back in 08 (18 x 36 w/sand filter) and since then it has been maintained by a pool company. Now I am finally home and ready to go! I got the TF 100 kit and will like to share the results with everyone and get some advice on were to go from here.
    FC 9.1
    CC .5
    T/A 90
    CYA 90
    According to the calculation table I am high on the FC, CC and CYA. But when I look at other charts and find my readings they are not bad as long as they all fall within the same bracket, but I am not sure about this.

I got a small training session from my pool lady the last day of her service which was about 12 days ago. I cleaned the pool this past weekend but have not added any chemicals.
    Her advice was to add about 1 to 2 gallons of bleach and 1 to 2 tablets once a week and backwash once a month. They did a good job but I know I can do better and make that water crystal clear, that's what I told my wife I am decent with the hand vacuum she also showed me how to get the air out of the hose and the setup of the valves.
    Thanks to everyone for the help!
    *18' x 36' Inground Vynil *Depth 3' 1/2" to 8' Appr. 26,000 gal. *Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp and Pro Series sand filter 300 *Automatic Clorinator *In Line Intermatic Pool timer *1 skimmer and 2 main drains *TF 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Finally Home From Afghanistan - Here are my numbers!

Well welcome back! Now enjoy some well-deserved time relaxing with the pool!

First off, yes, you have a high CYA reading. Your FC is actually right on the money for that level of CYA. Since you are able to backwash, you might just stop using tablets and let the CYA fall on it's own from water replacement after backwashing. Then you won't have to maintain such a high FC. So, no more tablets. Just use bleach exclusively.

I didn't see a pH in your numbers. Have you checked that?

How did you get the 9.1 reading on your FC? Generally, your FC reading should be in increments of 0.2 or 0.5 ppm, depending on your sample size.. Wasn't sure if maybe that was a typo.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome back! Glad to hear you made it home safely....

Yes, tell us your PH. And I agree, no more tablets for everyday use.

Refresh your memory with the pool calculator, testing each night and adding the appropriate amount of bleach to keep the FC above the min (refer to the CYA chart).

You can try running with the higher CYA level, but you might be better off just draining down about 1/3 to get that CYA down to a more manageable number.

Now I hope you will be swimming shortly....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome home Thank you for your service Hope you enjoy you pool alot this summer. You deserve it.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

5. Back To Top    #5

I know you want to focus on your numbers, and I'm gonna let you finish, but I wanted to interrupt long enough to say Thank you! and Welcome Home!
    Now, back to your regularly scheduled forum...
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the warm welcome, feels good to be back home! 257 you were on the money with your FC comment, I actually made the mistake of multiplying by .7 instead of .5 on the Chlorine Drop Test, went back and tested again and got a reading of 3.5 for the FC. According to the Pool Calculator I will need to add 11 oz. of liquid bleach to read the Recommended 3.7 FC for my pool.
    I will follow the advice of back washing in order to drop the CYA number, I will do this twice a month instead of once as recommended by pool lady. I will be getting that bleach in there tomorrow.
    The PH is 7.5

Thanks again to everyone for the great advice and such a great forum!! Can't wait for the hot weather
    *18' x 36' Inground Vynil *Depth 3' 1/2" to 8' Appr. 26,000 gal. *Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp and Pro Series sand filter 300 *Automatic Clorinator *In Line Intermatic Pool timer *1 skimmer and 2 main drains *TF 100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Just had to say Welcome Home!

Your friends on TFP will help your keep your backyard oasis in perfect condition!

When you get a few minutes, add your pool and equipment specs to your signature.
    Instructions are in first article in Pool School. This will help us help you
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pzmotorsports
    I will follow the advice of back washing in order to drop the CYA number, I will do this twice a month instead of once as recommended by pool lady. I will be getting that bleach in there tomorrow.
    You can do that of course, or you could go with frustratedpoolmom's advice and drain off 1/3 of your water to speed up the process. You can run with that higher CYA. It'll just take more bleach.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks again guys, don't know what I would done without your help! Also thanks for the tips for the signature, I just updated it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome back You deserve some R & R and THANK YOU for your service
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

11. Back To Top    #11

WELCOME BACK!!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you for your service to our country!!!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm with everybody else in wishing you a very warm and well-deserved homecoming!!! Glad you're back safely, and yes...there aren't enough thank you's in the world for our soldiers who put their lives on the line to keep us free. You're on your way to a beautiful sparkly pool...enjoy it immensely!
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

14. Back To Top    #14

welcome home!!!!! my hubby got back late last summer and is also ready for some summer pool fun too.
    have a great summer and enjoy that pool.

chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

15. Back To Top    #15

Welcome back! Please, whatever you do, enjoy that pool because you deserve it!

Thank you for your sacrifices so we can be free!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter